Slightly OT- a small rant about USPS & Companies that use them...

• Members

I recently ordered some non-music related (golf) equipment online. Unfortunately there seems to be no retail shops in this area anymore when there were an abundance a few years ago. I ended up paying sales tax anyways, for some reason they charge both PA & KY sales tax. Luckily though, they offerd free standard ground shipping, unfortunately I didnt realize they meant the USPS until after the item was shipped and I started tracking it:

07/31/2003 02:18:00 Departure - Sortation Center Departure GROVE CITY, OH

07/29/2003 21:33:07 Arrival - Sortation Center Arrival GROVE CITY, OH

07/29/2003 19:00:00 Pickup LOUISVILLE, KY

29 hours between arrival and departure scan? The union workers must of hit their quotas early that day. UPS or FEDEX would have had the package delivered in about the time it took the package to enter and leave one USPS facility. Granted the USPS was probably cheaper in this case but I would have gladly paid the extra dollar or two to use UPS.

Good news is Im taking half a day off from work to play some golf this afternoon. Bad news is I dont get to try out my new wedge or use my preferred brand of golf balls. Still a bad day of golf is better than a good day of work.

• Members

Wow. My beef is with UPS. USPS hasn't caused much trouble fo rme other than a 2-3 day parcel took I think 4 days once.

On the contrary, UPS "5 day" usually tqakes anywhere from 6-8 dyas to get to me. once it shows up, I have to deal with impatient idiot drivers. Why? I live on the top floor of an old building (meaning NO elevator). Well, the UPS folk, when they finally show up with my packages that may or may not be dilapidated at this point, they'll ring my bell, count to three and hop back in the truck and take off. I think they actually have the "sorry we missed you" info trac thing PRE-written out :mad: Well, generally when the bell rings I BOLT out the door, jump down the stairs as fast as possible, risking injury, only to watch the asshole driving off in his {censored} brown truck by the time I get to the landing. :rolleyes: And by the way, I usually leave a very polite note on the door explaining that it takes me more than a few seconds to get downstairs but promising that I WILL be down to receive my parcel. This is useless. Maybe the unions don't require them to be able to read?? Last week, there was a lot of traffic on my little street, and lots of people in the park across the street. I'd gone to bed early the night before knowing the whole drill and I was camped out in front of the window all damn morning ready to sprint downstairs when I saw the bastard driving up. Well, apparently the UPS chode didn't see a good spot to pull his stupid truck over and so he just KEPT DRIVING--I didn't get my package! He didn't even try! He drove by, looked at my door, looked around, kept going! Wallking an extra ten feet was too inconvenient for him, I guess. Came to find out he had subsequently reported that I "wasn't home." Lazy chode! I've been upgrading the studio so I've been (trying to get) 1-2 UPS deliveries per week lately...it's like this every time...

:mad: I HATE UPS AND I HOPE THEY ALL DIE!!! I HOPE THEY FLIP OVER IN THIER STUPID TRUCKS!!!! :mad: Then there will be a good reason why I don't get my stuff on time.

I'll take USPS any day of the week over United Prick Service. YMMV...

Hope your golf stuff comes soon, and I hope my RNC's come today before I have to go to work. UPS came yesterday and sure enough he was driving off when I got to the door...

• Members

I have great luck with both UPS and FED-EX. Great drivers who go out of their way to be helpful.

One reason there may be no local golf equipment stores around anymore is the tendency for many players to buy off the internet and not support the local shops. Not too different from music stores eh?

• Members

Dirty,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My experience with UPS has been very good, Fed-ex less than good, USPS so-so. If you want to try to get UPS's attention why not call customer service RIGHT after the UPS driver delivers and takes off. Tell them you were in fact home and that by the time you got downstairs the package was missing? Or at least call customer service and complain?

Aged,

I hear what your saying about internet sales cutting into local shop sales. But I think in this case (golf Equipment), it was more a matter of them using 20,000 square feet buildings for product they would only sell 6-8 months of the year (NE USA). Its not like they needed near that amount of space for the product. Plus most of them invested in the indoor golf setups with computers and never had many people using them. Lots of overhead, not enough sales and not enough of diversity in product would be my guess, I could be wrong though. Problem is they drove off some of the little guys now Im left with golf course Pro Shops (who will rape you of your money) or Sports Authority (small selection of mostly crappy stuff at a decent price).

• Members

Tried customer service. Went through 20 minutes of automated phone menus before getting put on hold, and gave up.

The RNCs did come today before I left for work...thank god! THe UPS folk do get the package in, it just takes em forever and with some degree of hassle, in my opinion. It's the USPS guys that usually are more willing to carry a box upstairs, walk an extra few feet, try contacting people to see about delivering something for me...YMMV, I think it just depends on how things are in your community...

Oh, and pardon my rant in the middle of your thread...it sure felt good though! :D

Archived