Custom speaker cables for PA system?

• Members

Refer to this thread for a listing of PA gear:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=389757

I went to a local pro audio store today to buy the speaker cables I need to hook up this gear:

(2) 1/4" to XLRM balanced

(2) 1/4" to XLRF balanced

(1) XLRM to XLRF balanced

The rep told me that the 1/4" to XLR cables had to be custom made.

If he's right, then I'll have him make the cables for me. If he's wrong - does anyone know where I can buy these cables online?

• Members
Originally posted by kirbywilson

Refer to this thread for a listing of PA gear:

I went to a local pro audio store today to buy the speaker cables I need to hook up this gear:

(2) 1/4" to XLRM balanced

(2) 1/4" to XLRF balanced

(1) XLRM to XLRF balanced

The rep told me that the 1/4" to XLR cables had to be custom made.

If he's right, then I'll have him make the cables for me. If he's wrong - does anyone know where I can buy these cables online?

Do you need 1/4" TRS to XLR's? As for the last one,isn't that just a mic cable?

• Members
Originally posted by RickJ

Speaker cables? Balanced? I guess if you really had a need for such a thing, they would have to be custom made. Balanced speaker cables are not the norm.

I think this has to do with another thread about running a crossover with a powered mixer and passive mid/high cabs and powered subs. So they will be going to the powered speaker cab. It wasn't explained here but that is my assumption. He/she considers them speaker cables because they are going to a speaker?

• Members

Here is my reference material:

Mackie 808S Powered Mixer

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/ppm_om.pdf

808S with Electronic Crossover and Subwoofers (page 11)

Behringer Super-X Pro CX2310 crossover

http://www.behringer-download.de/CX2310/CX2310_ENG_Rev_A.pdf

2.1 Stereo 2-way operation with separate subwoofer signal (pages 6-7)

Refer to the diagram on page 7 of the Crossover manual.

From the mixer to the crossover: L & R MIXER OUT (1/4" TRS) to INPUT connectors (balanced XLRF).

From the crossover to the mixer: HIGH OUTPUT connectors (balanced XLRM) to L & R POWER AMP IN (1/4" TRS).

From the crossover to the subwoofer: SUBW. OUT connector (balanced XLRM) to INPUT A (XLRF balanced on a JBL SoundFactor SF22SP).

• Members
Originally posted by Audiopile

Kirby:

What you need is pretty standard stuff that should be hanging on the wall of most any pro audio shop, unless you need some odd length.

I wondering what kind of audio your local pro audio shop is geared to serve? Are you sure that wasn't a pro bait and tackle shop?

The first two just look like TRS 1/4" to XLR(male and female respectively)and the last one is just a standard mic cable,correct?

Archived