help with new system?

• Members

I just won a "factory rebuilt" QSC "Series 1" 1700, off of ebay. Check out the specs: http://www.qscaudio.com/support/library/specs/pdfs/1700.pdf

Now, please bear with me, I'm (as almost everyone is) on a low budget, so I'm about to ask a bunch of potentially irratating questions:

I recently grabbed two (dear lord should I even say it!?) OPTIMUS 12" PA speakers on sale for 60% off. They're rated at a measly 100 watts rms @ 8ohms. I'm planning on replacing them with Eminence Gamma 12a's (8ohm, 300wrms). I also have 2 old PAS (Professional Audio Systems) cabs with co-axils in them. I'm planning on replacing the old cones with Gamma 12a's as well, along with a piezo horn mid/tweeter.

I found the cones and tweeters on Parts Express, just fyi.

This system will be run from a Behringer UB1204FX-PRO, and used primarily for vox, keyboards, and small dj gigs. The PAS's will be on sticks, with the optimus's as monitors. The system will also be used as an "amp" for my bass or guitar rig for private jam sessions too.

I'm wondering if I could be running into any problems with replacing these cones, and maybe wiring problems with installing a woofer/tweeter set up in a co-axil cab...piezo's don't require x-over's, right? Any other comments, like if this is a bad idea in general; I'd appriciate any input you might have to offer.

Thanks in advance! I love these forums, I hardly post, but I read everything I can everyday.

:)

• Members
Originally posted by kerOseen

I just won a "factory rebuilt" QSC "Series 1" 1700, off of ebay. Check out the specs:
http://www.qscaudio.com/support/library/specs/pdfs/1700.pdf

Now, please bear with me, I'm (as almost everyone is) on a low budget, so I'm about to ask a bunch of potentially irratating questions:

I recently grabbed two (dear lord should I even say it!?) OPTIMUS 12" PA speakers on sale for 60% off. They're rated at a measly 100 watts rms @ 8ohms. I'm planning on replacing them with Eminence Gamma 12a's (8ohm, 300wrms). I also have 2 old PAS (Professional Audio Systems) cabs with co-axils in them. I'm planning on replacing the old cones with Gamma 12a's as well, along with a piezo horn mid/tweeter.

I found the cones and tweeters on Parts Express, just fyi.

This system will be run from a Behringer UB1204FX-PRO, and used primarily for vox, keyboards, and small dj gigs. The PAS's will be on sticks, with the optimus's as monitors. The system will also be used as an "amp" for my bass or guitar rig for private jam sessions too.

I'm wondering if I could be running into any problems with replacing these cones, and maybe wiring problems with installing a woofer/tweeter set up in a co-axil cab...piezo's don't require x-over's, right? Any other comments, like if this is a bad idea in general; I'd appriciate any input you might have to offer.

Thanks in advance! I love these forums, I hardly post, but I read everything I can everyday.

:)

Just out of curiousity,how much will you have tied up in these cabs?

• Members

In the cabs alone, I'll have...

$140 Pair of 12" rat shack cabs

$240 Four Eminence Gamma 12" drivers

$0 PAS cabs (donated)

+ $8 Two piezo horns

--------

$388 Grand total.

I should note that this doesn't include the shipping for the gammas, which should be over a hundred bucks. It's costing me $114 to ship that 70 lb (:eek: ) QSC from the east coast US to way out here in Hawaii...I'm hoping I can find a local Eminence distrubitor here.

Ummm...this thread is getting little feedback...I wonder if it's a sign...

But thanks tlbonehead, btw, what the heck does tlbonehead mean? I keep thinking trombone head, but uhhh, no, I dont think that's it. Thanks again.

• Members

I'm curious as to why you would want to change to different drivers and piezos in the PAS boxes.

If the PAS OEM speakers are coaxials as you say,, they should have a real 1" or 2" exit compression driver/horn already in there,, and will be a much better unit than a piezo could ever dream of being...

which model PAS model speakers are they?

• Members

Well, one of the PAS speakers works well and has a nice sound. In the other PAS cab, only the high frequencies are comming out...but the woofer produces no sound. Replacing the co-axil speaker would run into the 300-400 dollar range, so I was investigating replacing them with the Eminence's (which are significantly cheaper and reportedly perform well).

Should I have the non-working PAS speaker repaired instead? Do most SR shops repair co-axil speakers?

• Members

Well, one of the PAS speakers works well and has a nice sound. In the other PAS cab, only the high frequencies are comming out...but the woofer produces no sound. Replacing the co-axil speaker would run into the 300-400 dollar range, so I was investigating replacing them with the Eminence's (which are significantly cheaper and reportedly perform well).

Should I have the non-working PAS speaker repaired instead? Do most SR shops repair co-axil speakers?

if you have the co-axial PAS driver reconed,, you'll wind up with atleast one good sounding pair of speakers.....the recone(depending on the model) is going to be around a $100 if you have it done at a local shop,, maybe less,,, and if you ship it to PAS from Hawaii,,,well,,,it WILL cost ya the recone,, plus shipping..here in the continental US, from South Carolina to PAS, it's about $20 for a 15" speaker via UPS....

you never did say which model PAS speaker you have...if they happen to be one of the TOC series, it would certainly be worth whatever it cost to make the OEM repairs.......

• Members

I'll check on which PAS model we have (it's at the studio right now) soon and report back. Thanks for the help!

One more question: how do you guys feel about the Gamma's going into the rat shack cabs? Should I even bother? I was thinking that with output of the QSC 1700, I could power both pairs of cabs (PAS for mains, and the rat shacks for monitors). Would the original rat shack 12" drivers be fine for monitoring?

• Members
Originally posted by agedhorse

I would recone the PAS, and I know there is a shop that deos re-cones on the big island because I sent some kits to a customer for him to install.

Should cost you around $125 or so.

I got a pair of the cast-frame 12" Eminence co-ax's(80 oz mag,I believe)with the built-in plastic horn lens reconed last winter at Midwest Speaker in St Paul for $54 each. They did say that the next ones they do,they will charge about $10 more because they are a little more work than a standard 12" speaker.

• Members

I've been looking into adding another PAS PI112.1 to match two we already have and they list for nearly $1K, can probably be bought for $7-800 apiece. You say they were donated, so even if fixing the one box costs you $400 to fix you would end up with two really nice boxes for...$400. You can't lose.

Peace,

D

Archived