Sansamp Bass Driver

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Rbts

My research incdcates the Sansamp Bass Driver DI is probably as good a way to go (esp for the money) as any for a Bass DI for a small band?

Cheapest place to but it would be where, perhaps?

From the many comments you'll read in the Bass Forum, and from my own short but happy personal experience with this unit, I can confidently state that it will be the best $190 you'll spend on your bass rig.

There are quite a few bassists who use the BDI alone as a preamp, running its output directly to a power amp and cabinet. It's the closest you'll ever get to tube sound from a SS device, and I'll dare say that it sounds better than several tube preamps.

If you've got the extra hundred bucks ($299) the RBI is the rackmount version of this, with the addition of a mid-sweep control.

The price seems to be quite consistent in the US at $190. Musicians Friend, AMS, etc, all carry it.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

From the many comments you'll read in the Bass Forum, and from my own short but happy personal experience with this unit, I can confidently state that it will be the best $190 you'll spend on your bass rig.

There are quite a few bassists who use the BDI alone as a preamp, running its output directly to a power amp and cabinet. It's the closest you'll ever get to tube sound from a SS device, and I'll dare say that it sounds better than several tube preamps.

If you've got the extra hundred bucks ($299) the RBI is the rackmount version of this, with the addition of a mid-sweep control.

The price seems to be quite consistent in the US at $190. Musicians Friend, AMS, etc, all carry it.

A bass driver DI alone won't sufficiently push a power amp and cabinet without some sort of pre-amp or boost - you will get volume but you won't get VOLUME.

Straight to the front of house (through the consol) however you shouldn't have any problem.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by moody

A bass driver DI alone won't sufficiently push a power amp and cabinet without some sort of pre-amp or boost - you will get volume but you won't get VOLUME.

Straight to the front of house (through the consol) however you shouldn't have any problem.

Ahh, but power is cheap. For example, a Yamaha CP2000, the typically recommended amp for the Budget Bass Rig, is $399. Even and the lower input level it can provide more than enough power to drive a 2x10 or 4x10 cab.

In my experience I've used my BDI direct into my Ampeg SvT-4PRO's power amp input, and it is at least as loud as running the bass direct into the amp's own preamp.

And the RBI has a higher output level and can fully drive most amps.

• Members

Originally posted by acesclone

My Sansamp will push my qsc 1450 to clip level with no problem. I do have active pickups though.

Well, I have a Yamaha with a bartolini pre-amp in it - and it won't push my amp nearly enough through the sansamp. I usually run a rack eq in order to do that.

I've tried it though a number of power amps as well - there is signal but not nearly loud enough in a gig situation (fine for practices).

• Members

Wow... we practice about a thousand times louder than any gig... seems weird to think otherwise. *shrug*

Just grab a cheap EQ pedal to boost the thing. There was a mod someone posted about to boost the signal, but I can't remember it.

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

Wow... we practice about a thousand times louder than any gig... seems weird to think otherwise. *shrug*

Just grab a cheap EQ pedal to boost the thing. There was a mod someone posted about to boost the signal, but I can't remember it.

OK, different strokes etc....

I generally practice with a half blown up power amp (one side doesn't work - still 200watts left though) and a single cab - and at no where near the volume level I gig at.

I gig at much higher volume through a stereo amp with a lot more power behind it. I really don't want to lug that rig to weekly practices (and leave it in my car unattended all day).

Archived