Elevating Guitar Amp Speakers

• Members

I read this somewhere or maybe misread it but is there any reason for me to elevate my guitar amp combo off the ground? Does leaving the combo on the ground cause the ground to absorb some of the sound from the speakers? I know u are supposed to elevate PA cabs. Anyway, I'd rather ask dumb questions anonomously ...

• Members

Biggest reason I can think of to elevate the combo amp is so that you can aim it at the back of your head rather than at your knees. This way you can actually hear what you sound like (unless you're a cricket {look it up}). I don't know about ground contact sucking up sound from the speakers, but I have played on thin plywood stages where sounds from the guitar and bass amps would cause the mics to feed back because of the vibrations traveling through the stage to the mic stands.

Michael D.

• Members

Elevation is a good way of getting the speaker closer to your ears. So you can hear better and not play so loud.

If you are miking up your speaker...

One suggestion is to buy or make a 'tilted' speaker stand. This puts the amp on a slight backwards angel and raises it up off the ground - 1 foot or so.

The angle is designed to point the speaker up-towards your ears. It has the added benefit of angling the amp so it makes it easier to see all your volume and tone adjustments.

Cheers

RUs

• Members

Originally posted by URSavage

The angle is designed to point the speaker up-towards your ears. It has the added benefit of angling the amp so it makes it easier to see all your volume and tone adjustments.

Unless your amp is like mine, and the controls are mounted on top and towards the rear of the amp....then it's a real poin in the nuts :o

But yes, I agree with the others. It's especially important on small, thin and especially hollow stages to isolate the amp from the stage. I see bands put their combo amps on top of the flight cases. Also pretty common to angle them back so they're pointing at you like a wedge monitor, and mic it up that way.

I've noticed that my combo (Fender HR DeVille 212) is really bass-heavy with it just sitting on the floor. I generally use it tilted back so those low frequencies aren't bouncing off the floor so much...the ghighs and mids also make it to my ears much more accurately...

• Members

Tilting back serves 2 purposes

1) Reduces overall stage volume as the cabinet is aimed at your ears so it doesn't need to be so loud. Also often works best as a side wash.

2) Guitar cabinets are like laser beams. Especially 1 - 2 speaker cabinets. The sound shoots straight out and fries anyone sitting directly in front with the intense midrange that guitars crank out. This is why you really only want the cabinet to serve as a monitor. The PA will spread the sound around so there aren't hot spots in the crowd and other places where there you can't hear it.

Archived