I thought you guys just made up Dr. Fong!

• Members
Originally posted by Audiopile

In my experience with the product line, you're right, it is a joke... pretty much the laughing stock of the industry. I guess it's my contempt for taking perfectly good natural resources and turning them into landfill fodder that rubs me the wrong way with products like this. Why make something while all the time knowing it's complete and utter garbage? This has never made sense to me.

On the same line, here some other things I try to avoid:

1) Polyester clothing,

2) Plastic Kids toys,

3) Disposa anything,

4) approx $30 a pound fast food (although I do have a real weakness for McD's fries),

5) Totally useless "sound gear" posing as "Pro Audio Stuff",

6) Milli Vanilli (and all the other's that came before, or since with the same stich as these posers... but the buying public keeps eating it up...fooled over, and over, and over... or maybe they just like fake, crap, garbage... I dunno???

7) Near beer,

9) Sugar free soda pop or decaf coffee,

10) Sex with myself,

11) Blended whiskey,

12) Non dairy creamer or margarine.

So,you only have sex without yourself?:confused::p

• Members

On the same line, here some other things I try to avoid:

1) Polyester clothing,

2) Plastic Kids toys,

3) Disposa anything,

4) approx $30 a pound fast food (although I do have a real weakness for McD's fries),

5) Totally useless "sound gear" posing as "Pro Audio Stuff",

6) Milli Vanilli (and all the other's that came before, or since with the same stich as these posers... but the buying public keeps eating it up...fooled over, and over, and over... or maybe they just like fake, crap, garbage... I dunno???

7) Near beer,

9) Sugar free soda pop or decaf coffee,

10) Sex with myself,

11) Blended whiskey,

12) Non dairy creamer or margarine.

Great list! I have to say I'm OK with certain margarines (I'm not the lightest fellow) but I don't eat McDs or any fast food, haven't for years. They kinda went out the window when I stopped eating meat some years back...

"Dr. Fong"?? My god. Classic.

• Members

Well now I've got to admit... some of my really "nice" Hawaiian shirts are some kind of synthetic woven petrochemical product... polyester, acitate, ??? Man... I wish they were cotton, but for some reason they just can't seem to print surfing buffalos wearing hula skirts and leis on cotton.

A true Hawaiian shirt is Rayon with a black background. In Florida you able to get lots of cotton versions.

• Members

Hey, I like Hawaiian shirts. I have a few of 'em in my rotation. They can be dressy or casual!

Speaking of Dr. Fong and crappy PA gear, I attended a little show a friend of mine was putting on. Basically there were four bands, three of which played metal. They didn't have much of a PA... in fact, here's the rundown:

Mains: Two Nady PS115 boxes on stands.

Monitors: Two Nady PS112 wedges

Keep in mind these are the cheap $99 jobs

Nothing was mic'd except vocals. The mics were run into a "Tosh" six channel powered mixer that claimed to be 160 watts on its back panel. This powered mixer gave the juice to the mains, and it's line out jack fed one of those little Kustom 4 channel powered mixers used to power the monitors.

I must admit that it did get the vocals heard over the din of drums and guitars, but I can't say it sounded great. I couldn't stand by the "mains" during guitar solos because of the piezo horn. The guitar amps bled into the vocal mics, and the sound from those piezo horns was irritating. It was like a high-pitched rasp aimed directly at my ears.

My friend's band played well as usual, but the PA (or lack thereof) really put a clamp down on sound quality. It was another case of expensive backline gear (I saw 5150 guitar heads, various half stacks, a pricey Yamaha Maple Custom drum kit, etc.) and a PA rig that could've been purchased from Musician's friend all for under $1000 new.

• Members

i can't even believe my eyes - ppl are discussing Dr Fong on a national/international audio forum. That stuff came from about 30 miles from where i live - nobody around here bought any of it. "Main Street Music", Greenfield, Ind...

Now "Zinn Bins" on the other hand....

• Members

And (in case you had any doubts) this is a serious "sound" subject. Guaranteed... even if you can't find your stage pass (cause it got blended in with all the other stuff on the dashboard)... with a ponytail, Anvil breifcase, Chevy Van with a JBL sticker, really cool sunglasses, and the right Hawaiian shirt... the security guard will wave you right on in. Soundfolks have a code of ethics to uphold... and I'm doing my level best.

1) Cut the ponytail a few years ago

2) Prefer the Fender "guitar case" briefcase. Got one in tweed and a cool one in black 'n' white lizard skin.

3) The van is white and black. The sticker is EAW (black & white.) I always removed that bright orange JBL logo from every speaker I've ever had.

I figure I paid them plenty already and they haven't been sending me a check each month for advertising their product!!! (The EAW van sticker is strictly for asthetics.)

4) It's the topics here, got more sunglasses than I know.

5) Ah, the Hawaiian shirt. I can ONLY wear 100% cotton. Even a 50/50 poly blend is an instant sweat machine. When I was a small youth, my grandma went to Hawaii and brought back shirts for my dad. Of course he never wore 'em. I salvaged them from the attic 25 years later, found that they were all cotton and wore them all for years until they disintegrated. They were two colored , large floral prints. Alas, no surfing buffaloes.

Archived