Help - auditioning TL Audio 5052.

• Members

Yesterday I received a TL Audio 5052 for a 30-day trial.

The unit comprises Two channels of EQ, Compression & Limiting and is a "hybrid valve signal processor".

I have been reading about this unit for a while and have really liked what I read and so I asked if there was anyway I could try one out.

Here's what I had in mind when I started looking at this unit.

3. An on-stage or Insert unit for my guitar & voice - live.

4. A unit to use Live at the Mixing Board as an insert on various channels.

5. To run the main FOH mix through in live situations.

Here are some of the ideas I have had to test the unit:

2. I'd like to use it between the Mackie & the FOH Amplifier.

3. I'd like to try it 'Live' as an insert on a couple of different channels - voice - instrument.

4. I also want to try it on my electric guitar & see if it gives me a tube sound that I'd like to have as an option every now & then.

Any other ideas?

I'd also appreciate any other thoughts regarding my interest in purchasing this unit. I believe the price will be around $1,700 - roughly. Any suggestions, recommendations etc. will be appreciated.

Here's a synopsis of the unit from their web site:

http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/tlaroute2/...5052_prelim.pdf

I removed the 'recording' portions of this post because they appear on the Recording forum.

I hope I haven't violated policy by duplicating portions of this here. I feel that the above is appropriate here but I'll happily edit or whatever if necessary.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Robin Sengupta

Yesterday I received a TL Audio 5052 for a 30-day trial.

The unit comprises Two channels of EQ, Compression & Limiting and is a "hybrid valve signal processor".

I have been reading about this unit for a while and have really liked what I read and so I asked if there was anyway I could try one out.

Here's what I had in mind when I started looking at this unit.

3. An on-stage or Insert unit for my guitar & voice - live.

4. A unit to use Live at the Mixing Board as an insert on various channels.

5. To run the main FOH mix through in live situations.

Here are some of the ideas I have had to test the unit:

2. I'd like to use it between the Mackie & the FOH Amplifier.

3. I'd like to try it 'Live' as an insert on a couple of different channels - voice - instrument.

4. I also want to try it on my electric guitar & see if it gives me a tube sound that I'd like to have as an option every now & then.

Any other ideas?

I'd also appreciate any other thoughts regarding my interest in purchasing this unit. I believe the price will be around $1,700 - roughly. Any suggestions, recommendations etc. will be appreciated.

Here's a synopsis of the unit from their web site:

http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/tlaroute2/...5052_prelim.pdf

I removed the 'recording' portions of this post because they appear on the Recording forum.

I hope I haven't violated policy by duplicating portions of this here. I feel that the above is appropriate here but I'll happily edit or whatever if necessary.

I can't help seeing the irony of plugging a $1,700 peripheral into a CFX-20.

But seriously, there are a lot of options out there that would do the tasks you mention for a lot less money. The dbx DriveRack PA comes to mind, though it lacks the tubey "Hybrid" valvey thing. I could cover that part with an ART Tube preamp and still keep you under $600. Is there some particular trait of this device that you find intriguing?

• Members

OK, now that you've got some quality time alone with the TL, here's what you do. Open up that bad boys and start studying. Take some pictures, write down what every component is, where it is, why it's there and what it does. Make sure you don't tell anyone you're doing it. Now, there's some companies in China than can build this stuff almost the same but for cheap on account of they have slaves working for them, and if you run into difficulty there's this dude in Germany that can help you out. You're on your way to a profitable business so long as you remember to move a switch or knob over in inch or two on the case of your new unit. :D

Just kidding! :D

Seriously, I'd be curious to see how it does live. Make sure you're not banging that bad boy around too much if it's got tubes in it. I'd bet it will warm things up or smooth things out a little. I suppose you're at the mercy of those mackie pres...I've been curious about the TL Audio units for recording, but some of my recording gear of course makes it to live work too. Let us know how it turns out!

• Members

"Is there some particular trait of this device that you find intriguing?" Craigv

Yes - the possibility that it will give me EVERYTHING. . .

two good, clean, TUBE mic pres for recording tracks

the possibility of using it for mastering [???] recordings

good TUBE sound on my electric guitar amp.

good LOOKS.

:D

dirtyragamuffin - I'm cracking up here with your pirating suggestion. I get the point about cheaper gear but I can't get away from the maxim 'you get what you pay for' [???].

"I can't help seeing the irony of plugging a $1,700 peripheral into a CFX-20."

I know - that part IS a little lame - in my defense - those are last on my list. Still - I think it might sweeten things up between the mixer and the FOH amp . . .

Primarily - I was hoping for quality recording preamps & possibly a mastering tool too

Secondarily as an enhancement to my personal electric [and acoustic] guitar stage sound . . .

everything else is tertiary.

• CMS Author

Okay. For me, the trouble would be comparing all those items to their equivalent competition. Is there another equivalent Swiss-Army-Knife like it? How does it compare? If not, then can I build a list of separate components that are better or as good? If so, I'd choose separates...from both a reliability standpoint and also because you may fall in lust with some other compressor, or limiter, or EQ, or..... and it won't seem so bad to replace just one component.

Also, does the interface work for you? Can you drop an EQ 'slide' in a panic when feedback howls, or will you be lost in a sea of multi-use buttons?

• Members

So help me out here... what's IS the tube sound that YOU are looking for? Since I design some hybrid tube audio products, I am always looking for ways to make more money. Are you sure it's the tube sound or perhaps there's something else going on?

My opinion, its a preposterous waste of money, especially given your gear set-up. Like putting $4000.00 worth of racing tires on a Ford Pinto.

But, it's your money, and you must decide if the magical sound enhancement floats your boat. That's the great thing about this country, that and we give the freedom for companies to sell (clearly) rip-off products. What an irony?

• Members

"Any suggestions, recommendations etc. will be appreciated." - Robin Sengupta

. . . in case that one line got lost in the "$1,700" . . . :D

Agedhorse:

The primary reason I'm looking at this is because I want a good mic preamp for recording -

from mic to TLA 5052 to MOTU 1296 to Computer.

No CFX-20 in the chain.

If it will do double-service for me on stage & as a mastering tool for recording . . . why not?

However - I AM looking for suggestoins.

I DO get the main point coming across here - $1,700 is too much to pay for this unit - right?

Even before it's been tried out? :D

I shouldn't be a smartass . . . I appreciate all your collective expertise and help too much to be wanting to offend you - :)

• Members

No offense taken. I think it's always a good idea to take a look at this kind of situation from a third person point of view (even if the third person is somewhat cynical) to be sure it's not the marketing hype and "myth" that's driving the "need".

Personally, I feel that technique and the material you are recording wil play a larger role in the sonic outcome of the finished product... and this comes from somebody who designs that kind of equuipment for a living.

That said, under the right circumstances (including a recording room with a very low noise floor), good playing technique and good sounding instruments, good (suitable) mics then a premium mic pre may make a slight sonic improvment, but it's not too common that the former items are up to snuff first.

Consumers in general are always looking for the magic bullet... it just "ain't that way" unfortunately.

• CMS Author

agedhorse - and others:

fear of sounding like a broken record [remember the days?] notwithstanding - I'm going to ask for suggestions again -

1. mic-preamp

2. Limiter

3. EQ

4. Compressor

5. 'Finalizing' unit

This is what I was hoping the 5052 would be.

Thanks!

Well now, I might be accused of also sounding like that proverbial record, but my major beef is that the unit is an all-in-one. It's false economy.

Let's say you love the mic-pre. But later you realize the compressor's not what you'd hoped for, and the limiter's got some shortcomings too.....not at all unusual even after a 30-day trial, or even a year of recording. Now you're 'stuck' with an expensive box that's got some of what you want, but not all of it. You have to add new compressor and limiter. And you can't get any return on the now unwanted comp & limiter, since you can't trade just those parts in. So you're stuck, unless you try to sell the box and start over.

My recommendation is to try one component at a time, as you need it, and add it only if it fits your overall needs and budget. While it seems easy to buy one box that does it all, it's rarely going to have everything 'just so', and if it does, it's a money bet that your definition of 'just so' will change later.

• Members

I tried the 5052 out last night on my guitars:

On electric guitar - through a Fender Ultimate Chorus but bypassing the preamp stage of that amp, it was good - and raising the 'Input Gain' knob added more of the valve sound.

What it did for my electric lineup was I was able to get a lot cleaner sound at higher volume and a lot more bite.

On acoustic guitar - through our FOH system - this thing sounded phenomenal. I have heard some class acoustic guitar sound - and this was right up there with them. VERY clean - and the EQ section gave me a WIDE variety of options.

I did a little toying around with the Compressor & the Limiter - and can confirm that they work well.

Wasn't able to get around to any recording.

I'm keeping an open mind [i can hear you guys thinking, "keep an open mind as much as you want - just don't buy that tubey-hybrid-valvey thing"].

:)

• Members

"and this comes from somebody who designs that kind of equuipment for a living." - agedhorse

agedhorse - since you design this kind of stuff for a living - I'd like to hear about some of what you design & I'd really like some of your recommendations.

You do [Valve] Preamps & EQs & Compressors etc? Tell me more.

• Members

"and this comes from somebody who designs that kind of equuipment for a living." - agedhorse

agedhorse - since you design this kind of stuff for a living - I'd like to hear about some of what you design & I'd really like some of your recommendations.

You do [Valve] Preamps & EQs & Compressors etc? Tell me more.

I do "valve" bits and pieces of all those product types... I don't get into the hard core recommending of products like this, but generally much of this part of the market is festering with unsubstantiated claims of wonderfullness. My point is that well designed gear, regardless of the cost or if it has tubes, is just that... well designed gear. There's a lot of really good gear out there, the performance hindered by poor user technique.

I also feel that a better sound can more easily and cost effectively supplied by improving playing and practice techniques. Acoustic guitar pickups and microphones will (or aty least can) make a larger difference.

Some of the manufacturer's that I have worked for I can't discuss, but my current design involvement is with the Genz Benz product line.

Archived