Anyone looking to sell.......

• Members

A friend of mine is running 3 open mic nights a week. He's looking to downsize the PA. He want's to find a powered mixer with a powered monitor section so he doesn't have to bring 2 power amps. He asked me to keep my eyes open for a Yamaha EMX660, or a Mackie 808. So if anyone is looking to get rid of one drop me an e-mail:

Ed@worldsdemise.com

He was also asking me about the Audix OM2 and OM5s. I never used them personally. He want's to know how they stack up against a 58. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Adios.

• Members

He's got pleanty of passive speakers already, and he's using powered mixers now, so if he got powered speakers he'd have to start toting around a board. He's hosting open mics, not big gigs. The places are small, and he wants what he wants. I know a lot of guys in here have an old 808 laying around so I told him I'd ask around. Anyone who wants to make a few bucks and unload that old 808 that's in the closet e-mail me.

What about the durablity of the OM-2, OM-5, and OM-6? This guy is more of a bang for the buck kinda guy. His gear goes through hell, always getting beat up from all the gigs he does. Can these mics hold up to the same kind of abuse that a 58 can?

I gotta make this guy become a member so he can post his own damn questions.

Adios.

ed@worldsdemise.com

• Members

Originally posted by SpreadTheHate

What about the durablity of the OM-2, OM-5, and OM-6? This guy is more of a bang for the buck kinda guy. His gear goes through hell, always getting beat up from all the gigs he does. Can these mics hold up to the same kind of abuse that a 58 can?

They're plenty durable. He should be sure to treat his mics well, of course as someone who has run plenty of open mics I know that it's not always possible (some REAL idiots show up to open mics), but I've never had a problem with my Audix mics and they're been dropped, banged, bumped, screeched and screamed into without problem. One thing I haven't heard them do much is feed back...

Audiopile was pretty spot-on in his observations of the OM mics. I've used em/have em all. OM5s great for heavy male vox; OM6 good all around and great for female vox; OM2 is a good notch below the others but I prefer it to an SM58--cleaner, crisper, much better feedback rejection.

The only problem I've had with Audix at open mics is since they're hypercardiod, you've GOT to use good mic technique and stay on-axis if they're going to sound their best (or sound at all). Probably 80% of the amatures I deal with don't know their way around a mic. Usually it's a good thing that no one can hear these cats, if you catch my drift, but then it makes ME look bad, to which I say hey! I'm not the one sucking balls, here! :rolleyes:

Archived