Staging... USED STAGES!

• Members

Anyone have any suggestions where I can find a used stage for outdoor events? I'm looking for something used that is approximately 30 ft (wide) by 20 ft (depth) and 4 to 5 ft high. It needs to be portable and easy to set up...

Any ideas would be very much appreciated...

Mike

• Members

Unless you are using it regularly, and don't mind "hurking around" a bunch of hardware, staging is pretty unglamerous and hard to make any money with. Lots of labor, but the materials seem pretty cheap (to the casual observer) even though new, the quality stuff runs about $20 - $50/sq ft.

Nobody wants to pay for the labor and storage and maintenance, and unmaintained staging just suchs from a user point of view. Maintenance can be very expensive if heavily used.

• CMS Author

This would be the last thing I'd ever want to buy for a band. You're looking at a minimum $10,000 initial investment, plus the transport vehicle, and someone to drive it, and then maintenance, which as Agedhorse points out is very expensive. Let's not forget insurance. If someone takes a tumble on it, guess who's liable?

• Members

Rented flatbed trailer (20-30 feet) is the way to go. That's what we usually play on outdoors, especially at rodeos. If you aren't money-challenged, you could buy a used flatbed trailer and wire it up with a distro panel and power sockets in the flooring, railings and steps, even a removable top and light poles. I know someone who plays a lot of outdoor gigs and did just that and it is pretty cool (he also rents it out and it pays for itself). It also doesn't require a specialized vehicle or license. As for liability, your vehicle insurance should cover it. If I had the extra cash, I'd consider one myself.

• Members

Here's the story...

There are festivals all year around that are sponsored by local radio stations, breweries, bottling companies etc. that contract out turnkey systems which include the stage, PA and lighting. The events are a combination of DJ and live bands. Locally I can rent a stage 20' x 30' without the roof for around $200 to $400.00 per day installed but as you get further outside the city the cost gets pretty high and hence, I can't compete with the guys that have their own staging.

I've quoted portable chassis mounted stages that can be pulled with a pickup truck but they run anywhere from 50 to 60K (too much dough!). I am considering buying something along the lines of 10 to 15K that my crew could assemble in a couple of hours. I may not find anything in that range but it never hurts to ask...

The idea is to be able to offer perspective customers turnkey systems for events and try to expand my small (very small) sound business. The club and bar market is very competitive, {censored} money and a ton of work (for the pay). I'd like to explore other areas such as festivals and other types of two or three day events...

Thanks to all for your posts...

• Members

Originally posted by Drumtech

Locally I can rent a stage 20' x 30' without the roof for around $200 to $400.00 per day installed but as you get further outside the city the cost gets pretty high and hence, I can't compete with the guys that have their own staging.

I think you answered your own question... For $200-$400 per day, I certainly wouldn't want to provide one.

How is the fee structure scheduled out for a weekend? Is it $400 for the first day and $200 for each additional day? Is it a weekend price regardless of the use?

If I were you, looking to become more successful, I would look for something that promises you some return on investment, not just a minimum wage job.

Archived