Speaker stack?

• Members

I have a single pair of Yammie S115IV's right now and am looking to get rid of these so that I can build a better stack since I've been told that these won't stack and array very well. I don't have to worry about being rider friendly and would like to keep cost under $1000 per pair.

After reading and researching and reading more, I'm interested in the Yorkville nx-20's. Would these build a decent stack (2-4 per side) on top of some decent subs (yet to be determined)? I like the price, the weight, and the fact that they can double as monitors. Would this be a decent set-up or am I just looking for trouble?

Thank you for your help!

• Members

Look for something with narrower dispersion horn patterns. 60 degrees is pretty good. That way,you will have less phase cancellation when running cabs side-by-side. And make sure they are traps so that you can spread the pattern out if you want and still have the fronts tightly together.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Look for something with narrower dispersion horn patterns. 60 degrees is pretty good. That way,you will have less phase cancellation when running cabs side-by-side. And make sure they are traps so that you can spread the pattern out if you want and still have the fronts tightly together.

I believe the nx-20's are traps, but I couldn't find anything about their dispersion patterns. Are these 60 degrees or do you know what they are? That's the biggest reason why I am getting rid of my yammies.

On that same line, could I just replace the horns in the yammies, if so what would you recomend?

• Members

Yep, that's my main beef with the NX line. They hit home runs with the components, power handling, weight, warranty, but missed the mark on the dispersion. A couple NX20's or 520P's seem like they'd make a nice little stack and a pattern around 70 degrees would be plenty wide for most applications, but still usable with multiples.

There don't seem to be many lower cost speakers that aren't 90 degree horizontal patterns.

• Members

My comments here...

90 degrees in an arrayable trap is ok (not ideal, but workable) provided the pattern is even and smooth. Yes, there will be some lobing but not that much different than with 60 degree horns in parctice.

Where there are real problems is when the pattern from the horn is not consistent and there are phase (or propagation delay) issues across the horn's pattern. This is one major thing that defines a good sounding (and usually more expensive) horn with a cheap one. When combining two poor quality horns together, not only do you have the lobing but also a pretty severe diffraction pattern which is far more irritating IMO.

This is one reason why I prefer the sound of the really small format (1" diaphram dia) for applications where it makes sense, the patterns are generally better since the geometry is smaller.

• Members

Don't waste the money on replacement horns, the boxes aren't worth it. The horn and woofer are the best part of those things. The box isn't real wood and there are no speakons. If they are in good shape you should still be able to get $200 a peice for them which ain't bad considering they were around $300 to begin with.

• Members

Riders aside, I think I would wait until I had a budget to move up to something better than MI-series gear. It will put your system head & shoulders above 90% of the others.

If you upgrade now at $500 a box, you'll lose $500 or more on resale a year from now when your clients outgrow your system. I'm seeing those Yammies all over the place for $150 a box. They cost twice that at pro net. (I'm trying to sell mine.)

I found a complete (used) Adamson speaker system for sale online for roughly $1,000 a box. That is a STEAL!!! (Bank auction after repo.) One of those Adamsons is equal to two or more of any MI-series boxes you'll find. The deals are out there. The larger JBL SRX-series speakers are widely available used and they literally blow the MI stuff right off the stage.

As people are fond of saying around here: Buy once, buy right.

Archived