Alright, I'm convinced i need new speakers. Any suggestions?

• Members

OK, you've convinced me I just threw $400.00 out the window!

Keeping in mind that I don't do this for a living, I'm a weekend warrior playing in an acoustic duo w/ a bass player and we both sing, gigging at bars where 50 people is a good night. What 12" speakers would you recommend? I would like to stick with 12's for schlepping purposes. I know that EAW's would probably just sound fantastic but I'd like to keep to around $400-$500 for the pair (especially after the bath I took with the Yamahas)!

And you can just tell me I can't get anything decent for that price, I'm ready.

• Members
Originally posted by RainsongDR1000

OK, you've convinced me I just threw $400.00 out the window!

Keeping in mind that I don't do this for a living, I'm a weekend warrior playing in an acoustic duo w/ a bass player and we both sing, gigging at bars where 50 people is a good night. What 12" speakers would you recommend? I would like to stick with 12's for schlepping purposes. I know that EAW's would probably just sound fantastic but I'd like to keep to around $400-$500 for the pair (especially after the bath I took with the Yamahas)!

And you can just tell me I can't get anything decent for that price, I'm ready.

Well,those speakers still have value so you aren't out $400. They would be nice home or studio speakers,either for you,or to sell and get some return on. Anyway,for acoustic gigs,I have a pair of American Audio APX152's that I use. I paid $129 each for them from PSSL's outlet section. They sound fine,although 12"s might be a little clearer in the mids,but the tone of these isn't bad at all. Otherwise,Sonic,Yamaha,Community and others make decent choices for you. There was recently a very nice pair of like new Sonics on Ebay with a starting price of $150 and $75 for shipping. And they didn't sell. $250 would have bought a very decent pair of speakers.

• Members

I heard a pair of Yamaha S12e's at a local jazz club (100 people about) that had a full band with bass, drum kit, elec piano and guitar. They were being powered by a newer PV XR600 something head. Sounded just right for that application. Although the people running it didn't really grasp the concept of balance, as one mic would be noticebly louder than another.

pete

Archived