OK< I screwed up buying speakers! Help w/ a powered mixer please!

• Members

Well, It seems I hastily bought the wrong speakers according to all you out there that know a lot more than me! I'm going to have to keep them for a while, though. So, with that said, what would be a good power amp that would get the most out of them?

I now have a Carvin PA620, I'm not opposed to Peavey, Carvin, Mackie, Yorkville or any of the other brands I've heard touted here. It's just that Samson and Alesis are in the music catalogs and seemed reasonably price if they are indeed apples to apples. I don't know if they are junk or not (apparently they are!) The speakers I have are Yamaha As312, 12" 3-way acoustic suspension, 90db, 360 watts max.

Would a 400-500 watt amp be to much for them if I don't crank them up all the way? I don't need them to be louder than they are in the venues i play, I just want them to sound as good as they can and take advantage of the purported "better" bass response of an acoustic suspension speaker and the more natural sound of 3-way speakers. When I bought these they had a frequency range of 50hz-20khz and that seemed better than the Carvins, Peaveys, and other Yamahas that were in the same price range.

Or is my 200 watt Carvin making them sound about as good as they are going to sound? From things I've read, acoustic suspension speakers, while not as efficient as bass ported, are capable of better bass response for their size, if they are powered adequately. Lay it on man, I'm all ears! And be please be specific w/ model #'s etc.

Thanks again for the lessons!

• Members

I think the 360 watts is a bit optimistic if it's the model Yamaha I'm thinking of. Without knowing more about the speaker, the 90dB efficiency issue may encourage overpowering which will be easier with a bigger amp of course. As long as you are not clipping the Carvin power amp in the mixer, then you probably have an ok match. You will gain 3dB by moving to a 400 watt amp (into the same impedance).

• Members
Originally posted by agedhorse

I think the 360 watts is a bit optimistic if it's the model Yamaha I'm thinking of. Without knowing more about the speaker, the 90dB efficiency issue may encourage overpowering which will be easier with a bigger amp of course. As long as you are not clipping the Carvin power amp in the mixer, then you probably have an ok match. You will gain 3dB by moving to a 400 watt amp (into the same impedance).

360 watts is the peak rating. 90 watts RMS.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Once ya got it.......
:)

So it's like riding a bike, is it? That's good, because it's probably just a few more years before I need to start worrying about that whole Alzheimers thing...

Well, if I was senile, I would have a lot less to worry about...

• Members

I'll give this one more shot. If the speakers can only handle 90 watts each, and the Carvin is putting out 100, any change in amp is likely to be pretty disappointing, or even damaging. There really isn't much point until you get better speakers.

• Members

Sounds like a QSC RMX850 would be ideal for these speakers - I'd loan you one to try if you were local. On the other hand, I'd sell these turkeys before they blow up and use the amp you have with a couple of Yamaha Club IV's or Peavey PR cabs - you could do that for about the same price as the "new amp" option and you will be MUCH happier down the road. Trust me ;) . Most of us here have bought stuff that didn't do the job when we first started and had to take the loss on it.

Archived