Mackie "RUDE SOLO LIGHT" Problem

• Members

I can't get the Rude Solo Light LED to stop flashing on my Mackie 1604 VLZ. None of the channels are being soloed (no -20 are illuminated and all of the buttons are in the out position) yet the led still flashes. When I do Solo a channel the light flashes brighter and faster but I cannot get anything to register on the main meters. That is I cannot get anything at any time to register on the main meters at all.

There is signal and all else seems to work fine...I can still mix...but i can't get the meters working or that damn solo led off.

HELP!

• Members

Unless the light is defective, which is unlikely that it would be and stuck on, something, an aux, a subgroup, is solo'd. It's not just for channel solo, it's for all the solos. Possibly one solo is stuck but you can't tell. Go through and hit every solo button a couple times and make sure they are all (channels, subgroups, aux's, etc.) in the up position.

• Members

The "rude solo light" operates off of a master oscillator, the LED is eithe on or off unless there is a problem with the input detector to the oscillator OR possible severe leakage with the B-logic switch contact on one of the channels. The fact that the LED gets brighter when you switch on one of the solo switches is very odd in that once the oscillator starts, it pretty much swings rail to rail... unless it's defective.

This problem needs a service tech familiar with Mackie to diagnose properly IMO.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

Hey, I know this is a long dead thread, but I just traded for a Mackie cr 1604 vlz. It works great except I'm having the same problem. The "Rude Solo Light" flashed constantly. It seems to get a bit brighter when I solo a channel. Also, I can't get the LED bar to light up to set the trim level on the channels. I think this is because the board thinks something else is going on when I go in solo mode. All buttons on the board are switched off so I am just confused. I'm hoping that the original poster on this thread will be able to tell me what came of the problem, or someone else can give me some ideas. The manual is good, but doesn't seem to have anything on this problem, and Google hasn't turned up much other that this thread. Thanks in advance.

• Members
I had the exact the same problem, but here is the tip:

make sure non of your aux master or group master are soloed...

Chasing down an errant soloed aux is a good step, but the fact that he is getting no level when he solos a channel suggests there is more to it.

The ribbon connectors on Mackie boards, especially of a certain era, were prone to problems. If the OP is certain there are no solo lights on, and he can't get signal from anything soloed, I would suggest he follow Craig's advice.

I'm pretty much all thumbs, and even I can reseat a connector - however YMMV, so see a technician if this is above your pay grade. Just be prepared to pay...

Edited by Shaster

• Members

Thanks for the advice. I've tried going through all the buttons and knobs a few times and nothing worked, it still flashes. I talked to the guy I traded off of and he said he had the same problem. The solo does work, but the light never stops flashing and the meter lights never move. I'm going to try Craig's suggestion and then I'll post the results. I'm still curious if anyone has successfully dealt with this exact problem.

• Members

I removed the board and cleaned it. There was a little tiny bit of corrosion in the area of the Rude Solo Light, which I did my best to clean off with alcohol and cotton swabs. Someone must have spilled something - but not much - it was very localized. Anyway, I cleaned it all up, reseated the connectors, and put it back together. Problem not solved, but at least I know. The board works fine, except you can't set unity level. I guess I will just use the -20 and the clipping lights on each channel as a rough indicator. Oh well, the board does 99% of what I need it for, it came with a sweet road case, and I traded it for gear I hadn't used in more than 10 years. I guess you can't win them all. Thanks for the help and advice.

• Members

There is a known issue/s with this model. Nine times out of ten taking it completely apart and reseating

all the cables on the pcb connectors fixes the issues for a short time. I have one completely ripped apart

in my basement shop and I have one I picked up from a guy for 25.00 cause he was sick of the issues

with the 1604 VLZ. Believe me when I say that Ages suggestion of the dumpster is a good one.

I always thought that doing a hard wire solder point to point instead of the cables might be the

fix but there are other issues with this model as well.

To really reseat all the connectors means you have to take the entire back panel apart and that is

a LOT of screws and 1/4 inch nuts.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

According to Mackie manual, it is a reminder to the operator that what you’re hearing in the control room is(are) the solo channel(s) you have selected. That’s why they named it “Rude Solo”, it is rude reminder, in case you forgot that you have soloed one or more channels.

• Members
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 10:13 PM, Zych said:

According to Mackie manual, it is a reminder to the operator that what you’re hearing in the control room is(are) the solo channel(s) you have selected. That’s why they named it “Rude Solo”, it is rude reminder, in case you forgot that you have soloed one or more channels.

Nice but this post is 5 years old.. Just saying. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, did you learn anything from the previous posts? 

There is not enough value in this product to justify a proper (ie qualified) service technician's time. The cost of repair far exceeds the mixer's value. I have repaired these 20 years ago, they were tricky and not worth the time or the hassle. It requires a thorough understanding of how the cue/mute/display circuits work because you will be analyzing as you go. What's your experience level?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 6/20/2020 at 4:40 PM, Mike Pastrana said:

I have this other problem. My mackie 1604 vlz the rude solo is on but none of my channels were solos but the mute button led stills on although it was un mute. Always channels were affecting it. 

Read my previous posts, your question has been answered.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...