Carvin or Crown Power Amp?

• Members

I'm trying to decide between a Carvin DCM1000 or a Crown CE1000.

It's going to be coupled with a Carvin Studiomate mixer for the sound system in a small marina/club venue.

It'll primarily be for a small 4 piece band: 3 mics, kbd, mic'd git amp, 'DI'd' bass (amp serving as pre) & drum machine as well as for the clubs CD/TV/etc. audio.

We're currently using their powered mixer with 100w/chan into 8 ohms/channel. It just ain't cutting it as current limiting shuts it down when we get cookin. Since it's a small club, we don't really need more volume, just more dynamic range/headroom.

Current drivers are passive, 300w 2 way 8 ohm 12" with horn tweets (to be followed with couple additional speakers + a monitor later).

I've talked them into upgrading but their budget is

• Members

Point me to a 12 chan (8 mono, 4 stereo) powered mixer that puts out 500 w/chan into 2 ohms for under $700 and I'm on it!

I will say though I missed a great deal for them on a Carvin RX1200 on eBay for $525 BIN because they had to 'think about it' overnight.

• Members

Originally posted by Westsailor

Point me to a 12 chan (8 mono, 4 stereo) powered mixer that puts out 500 w/chan into 2 ohms for under $700 and I'm on it!

I will say though I missed a great deal for them on a Carvin RX1200 on eBay for $525 BIN because they had to 'think about it' overnight.

Why 2 ohms? Point to seperates that will do that, and give you monitor sends and monitor power. The RX1200 or even the RX800 are probably as close as you'll come to meeting your requirements new for that budget. Remember, the Studiomate doesn't have monitor sends. That'll be a showstopper for performing.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Remember, the Studiomate doesn't have monitor sends. That'll be a showstopper for performing.

{censored}... I just double checked and you're right. That is a showstopper.

I just 'assumed' a mixer of that quality would at least have monitor sends.

Big thanks for that heads up. I would have been really PO'd at myself for not seeing that.

• Members

Both the CE1000 and the DCM1000 have been known to have reliability problems. I would go with QSC RMX or move up higher in the food chain on the Crown series.

The new XTI series by Crown looks really nice and not that expensive, but is pretty much untested.

BTW nix on the Carvin unless you go pretty high up in the line.

YMMV

• CMS Author

If you really need to drive a 2-ohm load, the very least I'd consider is an RMX1850HD. It's designed to handle a 2-ohm load reliably.

But why the 2-ohm requirement? That makes a huge difference in what's available and known reliable in this very low price range.

The "marina" use is also a concern. What are we talking here? Saltwater spray a few hundred yards away? Freshwater lake?

• Members

Actually, that should have been 4 ohm load (two 8 ohm speakers in parallel per channel).

Thanks so much for the pointer to the Yamaha mixer. Altough a tad higher, I'm thinking the Yamaha MG166FX would be more suitable with the onboard reverb, etc.

As far as the QSC RMX 850, while the price is right, might it be a tad lightweight?

Right now the existing PA (100w @ 8 ohms) is crowbarring during 'dense' passages, i.e. when everyone is singing, kbd/git is rocking & I'm slapping the bass.

The QSC is only 200w @ 8 ohms (300w @4). I was thinking more like min 3-400w @8 ohms. Not so much for additional SPL/volume, but purely for headroom.

The marina resturant/bar is an open palapa (thached roof) affair but on fresh water. The intent is to build a cabinet to house the gear. The "FH" is oh, 20 X 60 so it's pretty small. We pull in usually around 50'ish people, at times up to 100.

• CMS Author

This may be another place where a Peavey XR696F or Mackie 808s could be a good fit. Either is $800 and has a pretty complete set of features for a venue like this...2x 500 or 600(Peavey) watts per channel into 4 ohms, effects, EQ, for the Peavey, the Feedback Ferret. The issues are the price ($100 over budget) and the inputs (8 for each, with two being stereo).

• Members

Originally posted by Westsailor

As far as the QSC RMX 850, while the price is right, might it be a tad lightweight?

The QSC is only 200w @ 8 ohms (300w @4). I was thinking more like min 3-400w @8 ohms. Not so much for additional SPL/volume, but purely for headroom.

I believe Craig was talking about the RMX 1850HD, which puts out 360 watts @ 8 ohms stereo, 600 watts @ 4 ohms stereo. 45 pounds should not matter if it's an install.

V.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by gruvjack

I believe Craig was talking about the RMX
850HD, which puts out 360 watts @ 8 ohms stereo, 600 watts @ 4 ohms stereo. 45 pounds should not matter if it's an install.

V.

I was, but that was based on the mistaken spec of a 2-ohm load. flanc suggested the 850, but we're all still waiting to hear what exactly the amps will be driving.

• Members

The QSC1850 looks to be more like what I was thinking. Weight (aside from the person that will be carrying it thru as luggage) is not an issue.

Reason I was asking about the Crown CE1000 is I have a line on a used one for a couple hun.

As far as what it will be driving, I'm almost ashamed to say but currently there are only two "Soundbarrier" speakers in the club. Probably some DJ-type speakers that came with the powered mixer purchased down here. All I know is they are have 12" cones, a horn tweet & are ported. They label on the back says 300 watts at 8 ohms.

As someone mentioned earlier that's probably an overstatement. they do seem to handle the 100w easily though.

However, I'm trying to 'design' a system that is expandable in the future. i.e. two more drivers (TBD later) at the 'other end' of the house and a couple small monitors.

• Members

Although I still think a powered mixer is a better choice for you, look at Samson amps too. I don't know what everyone else thinks of them, but I have three of them and they've all perfromed flawlessly. Relatively inexpensive too.

Archived