peavey,s sp1g vs impulse1012

• Members

hi guys, i,m thinking of going to plastic boxes because of the weight and size. i presently use a pair of peavey sp1g powered by a qsc plx 3002 bi amped. i am thinking of getting a pair of peavey,s impulse 1012powered. will i lose any quality in sound?

• Members

You won't be losing quality in sound but 3 LS700Ps are a little too much for one pair of the Impulse 12's to compete with. Get 2 pairs and they will be a better match. If the SP1Gs went well with 3 LS700Ps, it's probably because they have one hell of a horn on them. And if you were bi-amping correctly, you know those horns have substantial output capabilities. Both Impulse and SP cabinets have BW woofers, so this is not the issue - if anything, the cabinet would have more to do with LF response but you've got subs so...Anyway, the horns on the Impulse series are great - 22XT I believe, but are no match for the much bigger 44XT which is what I believe is in the SP1Gs. DBoomer might just chime in and will be better at explaining the differences since he works for Peavey. Best of luck, Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Good catch, they do. I always thought they used Sheffields...they don't have the same bass response, but that must be due to the smaller enclosure.

I think the Sheffields are decent quality but Scorpion is a step above and Black Widows are the best. Pro Riders are used in the QW series so should be slightly better than BW? They both have 4'' VCs and crazy power handling but other than that? The SP boxes are wood and are very deep which might explain the different bass response when compared to Impulse. I almost bought a pair of the new SP2s until I got in the store and noticed just how deep they were. They would take up most of the back of my van.....Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Originally posted by derrick

hi guys, i,m thinking of going to plastic boxes because of the weight and size. i presently use a pair of peavey sp1g powered by a qsc plx 3002 bi amped. i am thinking of getting a pair of peavey,s impulse 1012powered. will i lose any quality in sound?

Roughly in the middle between the sp1g and 1012 would be the sp5.5p. Close to the 1012p in weight and the sound should be close to the sp1g as well.

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116436/number/00584280/cat/105/begin/1/SP%3F+5.5P.cfm

Have you thought of the Yorkville NX750p?

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=315&cat=22&type=29

Around the same price and light weight as well.

http://www.audioeast.com/yorkvillenx.htm

Dookietwo

• Members

Well .. you'll lose bass for sure. You'll also lose weight and size. As far as sound quality ... what crossover are you using with the SP1G rig? The crossovers are very dialed in on the Impulses. You may not be getting all you could at the present time so moving to the Impulse powered may be an improvement

• Members

thanks for the reply dboomer. i am using the dbx223xl crossover at 1100hz. i was concerned about the difference in horn capability. i plan to use the boxes for foh in clubs ranging from 250 to 350 people, if they work well, i plan buy another pair for outdoor gigs for aprox 500 to 600 people. i have 3 ls700ps and i,m planning to buy another one in the near future. your reply will be greatly appreciated.

• Members

thanks for the reply dboomer. i am using the dbx223xl crossover at 1100hz. i was concerned about the difference in horn capability. i plan to use the boxes for foh in clubs ranging from 250 to 350 people, if they work well, i plan buy another pair for outdoor gigs for aprox 500 to 600 people. i have 3 ls700ps and i,m planning to buy another one in the near future. your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Are you crossing over to the horn at 1100hz? Even at 24/db that seems pretty low.

• Members

Planning to add another pair of SP1's or another pair of Impulses? It's almost always better to work with a smaller number of high quality speakers than more of lesser quality speakers.

As far as the crossover goes ... you'll do much better with a VSX26 for the SP1's. We found that asymetrical (underlapping) Bessel 3rd order filters worked best on that box (as well as some delay to the woofer). So we're back to the crossovers in the Impulse will probably "sound" better than your current setup ... but the SP1's will play louder.

Archived