What do I need? Does it exist?

• Members

Currently I have a Marshall AS50R Acoustic Guitar Amp. I run the guitar (regular 1/4" guitar cable) and a mic (XLR) into the front of the amp and then a XLR cable out the back into the house system.

Here's what I'd like to do. Since I have to climb a ladder to get up to the stage (a la Potbelly), I'd like to simplify this set up (that is, make lighter and have less to carry). If possible, I'd like to only carry my guitar and a small backpack/bag up that ladder.

What do I get that's like the amp I have, but without the speakers and the weight (only 30+lbs, but feels a bit unstable going up and down a ladder).

Thanks for your help!!!

• Members

I'm confused you mic the amp and you run a direct out from the amp, so you're using 2 channels to the PA for your amp?

You want something to plug the acoustic into and then run XLR out to the PA, with out any speakers or power is that correct?

So you want a DI box, or a Sans Amp, POD, or something of that nature? OR do you want just the preamp from your combo acoustic amp in a smaller package?

*EDIT* Re-read your post and I see you plug the vocal mic into the front of the amp. If the stage has monitors then you don't need the amp at all. Just a DI and XLR cable for the guitar and then send the vocal mic right to the house PA system and let the sound guy handle it.

• Members

Originally posted by InACanProductions

If the stage has monitors then you don't need the amp at all. Just a DI and XLR cable for the guitar and then send the vocal mic right to the house PA system and let the sound guy handle it.

Getting closer!

I run the acoustic amp into the house system through one XLR input (that's all they have). So--I need something that will take the mic and the guitar and output the two signals into the house system. Basically, I need the amp without the speakers.

Will a mixer do this? If so, what do you recommend?

• Members

Thanks guys!

I'll look into your recommends. Also, I talked to a Guitar Center guy and he rec'd the Behringer Xenyx 802, which appears to be closer to my budget. I'll search the forums for the verdict on this one!

If all else fails, Scodiddly, I'll get the rope!

Archived