So here's my rig

• Members

After months of research, discussion and questions stemming from my initial thread

here I have ordered the following components:

2 Yorkville NX750P mains

2 Yorkville LS700P subs

1 DBX Driverack PA

1 TC-Helicon Voiceworks

1 QSC RMX 850 amp

1 Monster Power MP Pro 2500 Rack Power Center

1 Allen & Heath MixWiz3 16:2

Plus my current Peavey 112 TLS monitors driven by the QSC. I'm pretty happy with it, considering the price is around $7200 Canadian including tax and everything but the A&H is new.

The dealer I'm getting most components from has agreed to a $100 cable credit, but I know I'll probably have to spend more than that since all I currenly own are 1/4" patch cords and speaker cables for the monitors. Now to set it all up..I may be locked in my basement for the next month. I don't even know how many cables I'll need. Any ballpark guesses?

• Members

Nice! :thu:

You'll need a couple short XLR's to go from the mixer L/R out to the inputs of the xover.

You'll need some (4)longer XLR cables to go from the xover out's to the 4 speakers.

Some folks fashion together Xlrs and a power cable together as a snake of sorts. I'd bundle two XLR cables and power cable together to handle each side.

• Members

Originally posted by Rockstar97

After months of research, discussion and questions stemming from my initial thread

I have ordered the following components:

2 Yorkville NX750P mains

2 Yorkville LS700P subs

1 DBX Driverack PA

1 TC-Helicon Voiceworks

1 QSC RMX 850 amp

Plus my current Peavey 112 TLS monitors driven by the QSC. I'm pretty happy with it, considering the price is around $7200 Canadian including tax and everything but the A&H is new.

The dealer I'm getting most components from has agreed to a $100 cable credit, but I know I'll probably have to spend more than that since all I currenly own are 1/4" patch cords and speaker cables for the monitors. Now to set it all up..I may be locked in my basement for the next month. I don't even know how many cables I'll need. Any ballpark guesses?

Nice lookin' rig, but if you have powered mains and powered subs what do you need the QSC power amp for?

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

"Plus my current Peavey 112 TLS monitors driven by the QSC"

Oh right. Duh. :o

BTW -

Is there some value to setting up a rig like Rockstar97 describes, w/powered mains and sub but separate pwr. amp w/unpowered monitors?

I guess one advantage is you don't have to deal w/power cords coming out of the monitors if you run unpowered...

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Rockstar97

here
I have ordered the following components:

2 Yorkville NX750P mains

2 Yorkville LS700P subs

1 DBX Driverack PA

1 TC-Helicon Voiceworks

1 QSC RMX 850 amp

I don't even know how many cables I'll need. Any ballpark guesses?

Well, will the MW and all the processing and the QSC all be in one rack?

If so:

2 ea 6ft XLR-XLR. (LR outs to DRPA)

2 ea 6ft TRS-XLRF (aux outs to RMX850)

1 ea 6ft TRS-TRS or TRS-TSx2 insert (mixer aux or insert to Voiceworks)

4 ea 50ft or longer XLR-XLR (DRPA to speakers)

2 ea 50ft 12awg cordset with quad box (power at speakers)

1 ea 50ft 12awg cordset (power to FOH rack)

• CMS Author

Originally posted by GigMan

Oh right. Duh.
:o

BTW -

Is there some value to setting up a rig like Rockstar97 describes, w/powered mains and sub but separate pwr. amp w/unpowered monitors?

I guess one advantage is you don't have to deal w/power cords coming out of the monitors if you run unpowered...

No specific advantage. I'd keep it all one or all the other, just so's it's purty.....

• Members

Oh right. Duh.
:o

BTW -

Definitely power... you'll be running extension cords all across the stage if you're using powered monitors on a larger one!

• Members

thanks...that helps me too in my decision on monitors..never thought about the power cords all over the place on powered monitors:o sounds neat and clean but really isn't ...like it for the mains though!!

• Members

FWIW - I use powered monitors (RCF Art500's and 200's) and the power cables to them really aren't a major issue. Since a signal cable has to run to the mons powered or unpowered, I just route the power cable to the Art's right with the signal cables. Yes, it is an extra step that must be taken and where to power them from must be taken into account - but with a little creative routing stage clutter from extension cords has never been a problem.

• Members

I use an all active set up for my front wedges and subs+mains and I use an extension cord with an outlet every 10' or so. AudioEast sells them and calls them MOX cables. I got mine locally at loews for like $25. It makes it easy to get power to the 4 monitors I run up front. I've used it for backline power also and the spacing was great with a sepperate outlet for the 2 guitarists and bass player, I ran a power strip at each outlet for the players to plug in their FX pedals and what not.

• Members

Originally posted by InACanProductions

I use an all active set up for my front wedges and subs+mains and I use an extension cord with an outlet every 10' or so. AudioEast sells them and calls them MOX cables. I got mine locally at loews for like $25. It makes it easy to get power to the 4 monitors I run up front. I've used it for backline power also and the spacing was great with a sepperate outlet for the 2 guitarists and bass player, I ran a power strip at each outlet for the players to plug in their FX pedals and what not.

That's cool - I remember seeing that on the AudioEast website...

So what active speakers do you run - is it the Yorkvilles?

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

Definitely power... you'll be running extension cords all across the stage if you're using powered monitors on a larger one!

I have nearly identical rig right down to the Voiceworks (4, 550P's instead of 750's though, using 2 550P's for monitors. The extension cord thing really isn't an issue. Everything we need to wire the entire band, including power and XLR cables for lights, is in a sports duffle bag.

I'm sure the Drive Rack is nice, but we just use the internal pass filters on the speakers, run subs and mains separately off the L-R output of the Mixwiz and have been happy

Tip 1 - For the FOH, take a 50 foot regular XLR cable and lash it together with another XLR, but convert one end to a 1/4" TRS. This allows you to run both cables to the stack. I just used gaff tape every couple feet. Through 50+ shows and it's still holding up.

Tip 2 - Get a couple of those windable extension cords with the 4 outlets. Use one for each stack.

Tip 3 - At the end of the night take your power cables for the 750's, double them over once or twice and tie them through the handle on the cabinet. This assures you'll have power for the next show. I'd also recommend getting a spare cable just in case one does come up missing. Also, if you ever go powered with your monitors, you can buy longer power cables and avoid exension cords alltogether. I have 20 ft ones. Again, I just tie them to the handle at the end of the night.

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

I have nearly identical rig right down to the Voiceworks (4, 550P's instead of 750's though, using 2 550P's for monitors. The extension cord thing really isn't an issue. Everything we need to wire the entire band, including power and XLR cables for lights, is in a sports duffle bag.

I'm sure the Drive Rack is nice, but we just use the internal pass filters on the speakers, run subs and mains separately off the L-R output of the Mixwiz and have been happy

Tip 1 - For the FOH, take a 50 foot regular XLR cable and lash it together with another XLR, but convert one end to a 1/4" TRS. This allows you to run both cables to the stack. I just used gaff tape every couple feet. Through 50+ shows and it's still holding up.

Tip 2 - Get a couple of those windable extension cords with the 4 outlets. Use one for each stack.

Tip 3 - At the end of the night take your power cables for the 750's, double them over once or twice and tie them through the handle on the cabinet. This assures you'll have power for the next show. I'd also recommend getting a spare cable just in case one does come up missing. Also, if you ever go powered with your monitors, you can buy longer power cables and avoid exension cords alltogether. I have 20 ft ones. Again, I just tie them to the handle at the end of the night.

Dude - you DEFINITELY got your sh*t together, you are a true GigMan! :thu::D

I went one step further with my JBL EON15 G2 powered speakers/monitors: I got the protective bags to lug them in (and keep the front metal grilles scratch-free, especially the cute little orange & white logo/emblem... :D) & in each bag I keep the power cord, a black extension cable and audio cables: both XLR-XLR and TRS-to-XLR, which are both necessary depending on which mixer I'm using at any given gig. :cool:

• Members

o.k...I can change my mind again w/ those suggestions as I am too working on the all-powered yorkie rig for stage-band...what would be your suggestions for powered monitors..12's & 15's..must cut through loud metal band music??

• Members

That's cool - I remember seeing that on the AudioEast website...

So what active speakers do you run - is it the Yorkvilles?

Yeah 4 NX550Ps up front wedged. My FOH stacks are 1 LS800P and 1 EF500P per side, but I'll be adding another pair of the 500Ps soon.

• Members

Dude - you DEFINITELY got your sh*t together, you are a true GigMan!
:thu::D

I went one step further with my JBL EON15 G2 powered speakers/monitors: I got the protective bags to lug them in (and keep the front metal grilles scratch-free, especially the cute little orange & white logo/emblem...
:D
) & in each bag I keep the power cord, a black extension cable and audio cables: both XLR-XLR and TRS-to-XLR, which are both necessary depending on which mixer I'm using at any given gig.
:cool:

When the show is over I want out. With help of the sound dude, we strike the lights (LED pars on 2 stands, 4 effect lights, hazer all DMX), my vocal rack and pedals, and PA in about 30 minutes. Typically before the keyboard player or drummer are done tearing down. I'm often home an hour after the last note.

Archived