EV BK-2442 mixer?

• Members

Anyone heard of these? I can't find anything online about them at all. Our bassist bought one used recently and I'm curious to find any kind of documentation for it, etc, but even a Google search turns up a forum talking about a used one someone found, and a bunch of Australian eBay auctions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Slang,

Couple of questions:

1)Where did the board typically clip (0db, +3db, etc)

2)When the board clip indicators light up (channel and masters) is it immeadiately audible?

3)I assume that the aux outputs are unbalanced, correct?

Thanks

• Members

1)Where did the board typically clip (0db, +3db, etc)

I'm assuming you're talking about at the output stage? If so, then think in terms of "where did it clip (0db, -3db). And then, it depends on how many channels you used (eg - more than 2 channels!). As far as overall headroom, think in terms of 5' ceilings! :)

2)When the board clip indicators light up (channel and masters) is it immeadiately audible?

I don't recall, as (1) I've always been careful setting things to prevent that, & (2) In most of it's use over the years, I've been playing, while someone else was mixing. Interestly, it's actually been used more in the past year than it has been over most of it's life! (For a 10 year period, it sat, getting used very occasionally). The piece-of-crap-peavey (a 24 Ch Mark III, iirc), that was in my church, died last year, so I threw the BK16 in. The BK cleaned up the sound like I couldn't believe! That's not saying the BK is great, that's saying how bad the peavey was! As of last month, there's been a (~3 year old) Midas Venice installed there - another huge jump in audio quality!

3)I assume that the aux outputs are unbalanced, correct?

My BK16, iirc, was the first of the series with EV, & either for that reason (or because it was a 16 & not a 24?!), it has no balanced outs, period. As I recall, there were a few noticable changes in it a couple years after I bought it (but I can't remember what they were!). One, quite probably, was balanced outs. It's was a 're-label' of a korean made mixer, whose name I can't remember. Possibly, Samson?

• Members

I have a BK-1642 that I've had for a few years. I use it occasionally, for small things, and crap I don't want to drag bigger stuff out for. It works OK, sounds decent, is reasonably quiet, and the EQ works alright even though it's only got one mid sweep. It has XLR outs for L, R, Main, and Monitor, and 1/4" outs for the other two auxes, and inserts on every channel, which is nice.

It's got long faders, but limited metering, and no mute buttons. You can run up to 2 monitor mixes and 1 effect, so it works OK for small acts.

The clip lights come on before it actually clips, and it's got more headroom than I remember any Mackie having. Then again, I haven't used it on anything intense, but I don't remember hearing anything nasty when the clip lights lit up occasionally.

Even though I only use mine rarely, it's not worth getting rid of, since it does come in handy occasionally and they don't sell for very much. And mine is in a decent case, so it's easy to move around.

It's probably not something I'd use for shows too often, mostly because of the limited aux section, but it would work OK for small shows, and would be a great board for a rehearsal room. Maybe a little noisy for recording, but maybe acceptable depending on your requirements.

He probably got it for a good price, so if nothing else it's probably a good backup board.

• Members

Originally posted by B. Adams

I have a BK-1642 that I've had for a few years. ........ it's only got one mid sweep. It has XLR outs for L, R, Main, and Monitor, and 1/4" outs for the other two auxes

I guess that details the main diff's from my earlier model - EQ is only low, mid & high, no sweeps; No XLR outs anywhere; a total of 3 auxs: Effects, Monitor & Aux.

Everything else you said about it (both technically & functionally) pretty much sums up my experience, except that in the early years, it developed a nasty cross-talk problem between the monitor & aux channels. I don't recall it affecting the FX bus (but may've, and got 'lost' in the effects! :) Thus, I never used the Aux & Mon buses at the same time. Never figured it wa$ worth it to have it repaired.

• Members

Originally posted by B. Adams

He probably got it for a good price, so if nothing else it's probably a good backup board.

Hopefully on Saturday I'll be able to figure out what we're going to need to get everything going the way we want it. Two monitor mixes is fine; right now we're only using one, really, and we're rigging it up just to get that much done because the guy who owns the board doesn't know anything about it, and we can't hook up the system at our houses, so we're pretty much limited to time before gigs.

Archived