Replacement crossover board for Subs

• Members
Originally posted by Chad-Chicago

Need to replace the crossover board in my 18" subs. What should I expect to spend and where can I find em??

I use this PA for rehersal only...

TIA

Chad

Why on earth anyone would use subs for practice is beyond me. Anyway, if it is a typical 18" front-load sub, you probably want to cross over at about 100-125 hz. Are you going to have a high and low pass section in it? What rolloff? Impedance of the driver also matters obviously. PE has nice charts that will tell you what values you need to throw a basic 8 or 12 db crossover together. And you can find them all over the web with a simple search. Otherwise, I have a pair of MTX low pass filters lying around somewhere if you are interested. I can't remember what impedance they are or the exact crossover frequency, but I think they are a 12 slope since they have a coil and a cap .

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Why on earth anyone would use subs for practice is beyond me.

Are you serious :confused: Why not use a nice PA with subs for practice? I love practicing with a nice PA. Just my opinion. I guess maybe it depends on the style of music, but it's nice being able to mic up the kick. Or maybe the bass player has a really nice "small" amp with two 10's that just isn't loud enough. You can run him through the PA as well. Maybe you play in a cover band, and the guitar player and bass player both use POD pedal boards, and don't have amps. They just run through the PA at practice, and at live gigs. What if you have a keyboard player?

What if you're in a band that uses your own PA at gigs? If you don't have a sound guy (or a good one), you can use practice time to figure out how to get a somewhat good "live" sound. I know the venue will sound way different, but it might give you a head start.

Just a few scenarios I've come across in the past.

• Members

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay

Are you serious
:confused:
Why not use a nice PA with subs for practice? I love practicing with a nice PA. Just my opinion. I guess maybe it depends on the style of music, but it's nice being able to mic up the kick. Or maybe the bass player has a really nice "small" amp with two 10's that just isn't loud enough. You can run him through the PA as well. Maybe you play in a cover band, and the guitar player and bass player both use POD pedal boards, and don't have amps. They just run through the PA at practice, and at live gigs. What if you have a keyboard player?

What if you're in a band that uses your own PA at gigs? If you don't have a sound guy (or a good one), you can use practice time to figure out how to get a somewhat good "live" sound. I know the venue will sound way different, but it might give you a head start.

We generally practice to learn new material and brush-up on something that may have been out of the rotation for a while; the rest of the standard material get's lot's of reps during our busy gig schedule. Since we are mostly in a learn-mode at practice, we like to keep things simple and stripped so we can make sure we are accurate.

• Members

A lower volume at rehearsal will help you tighten up and hear the "small" things which will help you become more polished.I also distinguish between practice and rehearsal.You practice at home(i.e. actually learning the songs you have been given)so rehearsal time can be more productive.Isn't there always one guy who didn't "have time" to learn the new stuff?

• Members

Are you serious
:confused:
Why not use a nice PA with subs for practice? I love practicing with a nice PA. Just my opinion. I guess maybe it depends on the style of music, but it's nice being able to mic up the kick. Or maybe the bass player has a really nice "small" amp with two 10's that just isn't loud enough. You can run him through the PA as well. Maybe you play in a cover band, and the guitar player and bass player both use POD pedal boards, and don't have amps. They just run through the PA at practice, and at live gigs. What if you have a keyboard player?

That seems really odd, except maybe for the real beginning bands. I rwally like the part about the 2x10" bass amp that "just isn't loud enough for practice". And yes, we use our own PA (about 10,000 watts worth) for gigging.

• Members

Maybe it's a San Antonio thing. Maybe it just depends on the genre.

With heavier music, or metal, the kick will typically be seriously lacking unless you mic it. Hence, the need for subs.

Well, ya, obviously. But its practice, not a gig.

Archived