Focusrite twintrack pro

• Members

I have a Focusrite twintrack pro which I use with my Tascam DP01FX.

The Twintack has stereo compression as well as a sweepable EQ.

With my tascam digital 8 track you can only compress on the way in through the imput, and you can only use two inputs at once.

Is it a good idea to compress on the way in as you do live vocals or mikeing up the guitar.

A freind of mine says you should never do this as you will lose the dynamics.

Or is it good just to use the Focusrite twintrack pre amps to record dry without any compression and then use a basic home studio software like T-Racks to compress later during mixdown.

I am no novice to Home Recording , I still have a lot to learn.

dave

dave

• Members

Losing dynamics IS the point behind compression. If you don't lose dynamics, something's wrong;)

As far as compressing on the way in versus on the way out in the mix, on the way out gives you a better perspective of how the compression sits in the mix. That said, an experienced engineer will usually have a good feel as to how much compression feels right for the INTENDED mix.

• Members

If you're recording multi-track to mixdown later, I wouldn't use the compressor at all. Some might use it as a limiter to ensure no digital clipping, but correctly-set gains should take care of that.

IMO it's best to get an unprocessed sound recorded, after which you can play with FX till it's just right... rather than do it once and make that permanent.

AS

• Members

Even if i don't use the compression will I still have the focusrite preamp quality so i vcan mainly use thier sweepable eq.

Or would it make much differance.

As i said I have very little knowledge in Home Computing and equipment so i may sound like a real dumbbo.

LOL

Dave

Archived