Best Compressor/Gate Rack Under $500??

• Members

I'll be using it for live sound and various recording applications and I'm having trouble finding the best dynamics for my buck.

I was looking at the Alesis Nano and 3630, as well as the dbx 266XL. But I've heard bad things about all of these. For instance the inability to adequately process bass using the 266XL and 3630.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

Originally posted by GonzoMusic

That 1066 looks solid. I also ran across a used 1046 for $50.

Is the 1066 worth the extra $250?

The 1046 is a quad compressor (4 channels) with no gates or expanders. The retail price is usually higher than the 1066 so $50 would be a steal IF it is in good working condition. You'll need to be sure of that or end up with a $50 paper weight.

V.

• Members

$50 for a 1046? BUY IT!!!!!!!!!

They retail for $500 new, and sound amazing. If nothing else you can sell it tomorrow for 5x that in no time. Hell I'll give ya $200 for it if it works.

The 1066 gate is pretty useless IMHO. I'd recommend getting the 1046 for really cheap, and a quad gate, although you'll be spending some bucks for decent ones, and cheap ones just suck.

The new KT purple line is nice, 8 channels of either frequency dependant gate or tunable compressor for around a grand. However you'd need to hardpatch ins to outs to chain comps and gates.

Archived