Solo gear on a diet?

• Members

Here is some gear I might sell (I do not mean on this forum, I mean in the context of my post) to help reduce the size and bulk and weight:

FMR RNC

Behringer DDX3216

Peavey PV 2600

Mackie 1604 VLZ

Boss GX700

Lexicon MPX100

Other rack mount multi effects processors etc.

I do a high-tech solo act. Could I replace the above with a small lightweight 16 channel board, with an internal high-powered amp and hopefully at least some internal effects, that would rack mount in a larger SKB, with a hopefully smaller form factor and equal weight as compared to a Mackie 1604 VLZ alone?

I do not need mic-pre

• Members

Interesting! It's heavy @ 68lbs and has two extra amps I'll never need (which for me would be much better used if they had beefed up the mains amps and not had four amps), plus the mixer section looks a bit pedestrian (at least on paper, at least compared to the Yamaha EMX5016CF) but it could well be a contender.

With cabling and SKB case that piggy (assuming I can rack it into an SKB case - the specs do not say) is going to weigh over 100 lbs.!

Any idea what class of amps they are using, I gather it

• Members

I probably should have read your question a little slower, and deducted that the diet in your thread name meant lightweight. :( I saw that you wanted lots of real power and hopefully an all-in-one solution - why I recommended the Powermax series. These powered mixers are heavy and I believe are class A/B topology. If you are not going to be using the monitor amps, it would probably be a waste. The Powermax are probably the highest powered powered mixers I know of.There are other all-in-one powered mixers available that are lightweight, but as you seem to be aware of, there are also alot of exagerated power specs from many manufacturers. I'm sure others with better suggetions will chime in. As for amplifiers, Yamaha P5000/P7000s are only 26lbs and deliver tons of real power. (if you decide not to go the powered mixer route). Best of luck, sorry I could not be of more help. Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

How about something like this? If you need less power there is the 810 that might fit the bill....

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=31&cat=13&id=267

• Members

Now don't get mad right???maybe this poster is a candidate for the Bose System?

I have thought a lot about how to make a solo rig as small as possible just for the heck of it.

Ashley makes some very good single rack unit mixers. One of those with a single unit effects deal, and a small power amp, is about the smallest way I know of, although I realize this is not really the direction that the original poster wanted to go... I actually think maybe the quality would be better, although the cost would be high too.

I actually use powered speakers with a 16 channel Mix Whiz but often think about how I could get a smaller rig than that. Sometimes I think about an Ashley single unit mixer with an external single unit effects unit in a little plastic rack case, and two powered speakers, and this would be about as small as you could get, besides maybe using the Bose system, although that doesn't even seem that small, although it is light.

• Members

alby -

I have a Samson PL1602 16 channel rackmount mixer I'm looking to sell -

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=63&brandID=2

...it has only 2 mic pre's (you said you don't many) & the rest of the channels are stereo inputs - it takes up only 2 spaces in a rack. Match it up w/a decent pair of lightweight powered speakers, like the Yorkville NX55P's -

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?cat=22&type=29&id=339

..or the JBL EON15 G2's (which I use for PA) -

http://www.jblpro.com/eong2/eon15g2.htm

- - and you're all set w/a flexible, yet lightweight system.

PM me if you're interested in the Samson PL1602. :D

• Members

Thanks very much for your suggestions:

I was pretty underwhelmed by the Bose PAS in terms of bass response, dB output and costs, sad to say, however as a lower volume, higher cost ensemble concept it

• Members

If the power amp section was only moderately successful but the rest of the mixer was just dandy it might be worth it for me to buy the new Yamaha EMX5016CF Powered Mixer and keep my PV2600 (in case the EMX5016CF did not drive my EV Zx5

• Members

It should be noted the unpowered ZX5s costs roughly the same as the powered speakers they were compared to... They should be good sounding boxes at their price and also have a beefier HF driver than the others.

Hi Al Poulin,

They also have a much beefier LF driver, check the specs, and unlike some companies I have a decent amount of respect for most of EV

• Members

You also seem to be confusing net carry weight with gross carry weight.

Confusing weights... how? I said that the unpowered (they are unpowered, aren't they?) EV ZX5's clock in at 50lbs. (49.6 actually, per the published specs on the EV website - http://www.electrovoice.com/products/252.html)... whereas the EONs or NX55P's are 46lbs., including the power amps that are built-in.

So, in order to produce sound from the ZX5's, you need to have a power amp - add the weight of that (which will usually be at least 20lbs. or so) to the weight of the ZX5's & you are carrying a heavier a load, compared to the weight of the powered speakers like the EON15's or NX55P's.

But I guess the weight factor is irrelevant here since you maintain that those boxes (NX55P, EON15 G2) do not have the same power specs as the the ZX5's - a logic that I follow and can not argue with... :o

So I guess I amend my previous statement to say, "I guess I'm willing to sacrifice some quality and some power capability in order to gain portability." :thu:

• CMS Author

If your goal is to reduce the size of the rig, a Mixwizard will give all the functionality of the Mackie, plus two channels of effects, in roughly the same size, so you lose 1u of rack requirement.

Further, powered speakers will trim another 2u or more.

Reducing weight is fine, but let's keep it in perspective...why? Are you shipping the rig often and paying for pounds moved? Then weight is key. Is the goal a lighter load on your back? Then think in terms of weight distribution...two 30lb racks beat one 60lb rack any day, even though they weigh the same. Ease of hauling depends on both size and weight...a heavy box that's not too bulky and has well-placed handles beats a lighter but bulky box IMHO.

For a pro rig, go for powered speakers rather than powered mixer. You get perfectly matched bi-ampification, no heavy speaker cables (but two sets of cables to each...don't forget this) and weight that's spread out to several boxes, not in one giant rack. It's easier to add a crossover and subs.

Consider a driverack. You get a graphic EQ, parametric EQ, Feedback killer, room analyzer, crossover, compressor limiter, and maybe other goodies...all in 1u and 5lb.

• Members

I with the others here. I do think the ZX5's are nice sounding speakers and 50 pounds isnt to bad to move around but I would most definitely dump the powered mixer program, esp if your after hifi. If you ever do use a sound man and run a snake off stage your going to be stuck running about 100ft of speaker cable. You will lose power and sound quality. A small mixer like a Mixwiz or a Onyx with a lightweight amp like a PLX 1804 that weighs 13 pounds will crush the powered boards performance and reliability. Plus the two componets will grow with you and can be used in a much bigger system if needed. If your playing outdoors or a large venue, rent bigger or more speakers and or subs, no problems. If a sound system is provided but no monitors (its happened to me as a drummer!) you can intergrade the system or atleast the speakers and amp. Just a few idea's. PM Mike Pyle, he was running a sale on those amps for a great price and they really are light!

• Members
If you ever do use a sound man and run a snake off stage your going to be stuck running about 100ft of speaker cable. You will lose power and sound quality. A small mixer like a Mixwiz or a Onyx with a lightweight amp like a PLX 1804 that weighs 13 pounds will crush the powered boards performance and reliability. Plus the two componets will grow with you and can be used in a much bigger system if needed. If your playing outdoors or a large venue, rent bigger or more speakers and or subs, no problems. If a sound system is provided but no monitors (its happened to me as a drummer!) you can intergrade the system or atleast the speakers and amp. Just a few idea's. PM Mike Pyle, he was running a sale on those amps for a great price and they really are light!

I do like the Powerlight stuff and if I stay with external power I might switch! I don

• Members

If your goal is to reduce the size of the rig, a Mixwizard will give all the functionality of the Mackie, plus two channels of effects, in roughly the same size, so you lose 1u of rack requirement.

Hi Craig,

The A&H WZ3:16:2 form factor is nowhere near as compact as the Mackie 1604 VLZ, plus the A&H WZ3:16 connections are at the top of the mixer, (unlike the Mackie) thus taking up another 1U.

The A&H when rack mounted is 21

• Members

It turns out the Yamaha EMX5016CF is more of a contender @ 19 3/8 = 11.5U because its on board processing is (IMHO sight unseen) a consequential step up from the A&H WZ3:16 quite modest effects section, and even if I do not use the EMX5016CF's on-board power amps (they would suffice as emergency back up though).

However the Yamaha EMX5016CF has two Achilles heels:

1) It places its connections on the front and I wonder if I could close the lid of an SKB 12 space rack with all the XLR and

• Members

While your waiting on some replies about the Yamaha, can you give me a review about your speakers? I know that you like them just wondering about how you feel about the highs-mids and lows. Muddy mids, overly bright to much bottom or everthings just right.

Thanks, Bob

Archived