Stripped Rack Rails

• Members

Does anyone have a quick fix for stripped threads in a rack rail? I have a B4R bass head in a cheap Musician's Friend rack (yes, I should have expected it). The amp is way to heavy for it, and now it has pulled the screws out of the threaded hole.

Is there a good way to fix this? One of my other racks has little threaded clips that snap over the rail. Can you buy these to pop over any rail to get by? What else can one do to reinforce the back end so this doesn't happen again? This is the only cheap case I own -- I should have known better, but I'd still like to get by with it as there are no other problems at the moment.

• Members

Well you could replace the rails with precut sections from Middle Atlantic. Or you could drill out the hole and try to get a bolt & nut combination in there to hold the unit. I know the clips you're talking about, but if you pulled the threads out of a steel rail, there ain't no way that a sheetmetal clip will hold it.

You need to support the rear end by putting a brace under the unit, or if the unit has rear rack ears you can install another set of rails for the back end.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. The case has rack rails on the back too, but as far as I can tell there's nothing on the B4R that I can use to support it. How do they expect such a HEAVY amp to be held by only the front ears??

I was hoping I could just use some of those clips and then find some way to reinforce the back end of it. Is this something one could find at a music store, or should I just try the hardware store?

I could try drilling and tapping it if that's what it came to - just thought maybe this was a common problem and someone might a quick simple solution.

Any ideas for reinforcing a heavy amp, that as far as I can tell, is not set up for it?

• Members

. I know the clips you're talking about, but if you pulled the threads out of a steel rail, there ain't no way that a sheetmetal clip will hold it.

I believe he means these type of clips:

262-968m.jpg

I really don't see how that would be any different strength-wise than a bolt/nut combination, as the clip only functions to hold the nut in place and prevent it from rotating during installation.

That image is of these

• Members

I believe he means these type of clips:

262-968m.jpg

I really don't see how that would be any different strength-wise than a bolt/nut combination, as the clip only functions to hold the nut in place and prevent it from rotating during installation.

That image is of
these

Yep, that's it! Is this something I could find at a hardware store then? That should do the trick, yeah?

• Members

I just realized you provide a link... Looks like Gator make those particular one's. I'll print out a picture and go see what I can come up with. I need to fix it before Friday.

Thanks again!

I suspect "those" rack rails are aluminum (right?). Regardless, you could drill the stripped holes out and re-tap them to a larger size (like 1/4" x 20). Generally most rack ears on rack mount equipment will accomodate 1/4" machine screws.

• Members

I think they're aluminum - and they're definitely thinner that those on higher quality cases. I went to the local guitar shop after work with the photo provided by soul-x (thanks) and they found some in the back room. It worked out quite well, and I can tighten it down a lot harder without fear of stripping them again.

• CMS Author

Does anyone have a quick fix for stripped threads in a rack rail? I have a B4R bass head in a cheap Musician's Friend rack (yes, I should have expected it). The amp is way to heavy for it, and now it has pulled the screws out of the threaded hole.

Is there a good way to fix this? One of my other racks has little threaded clips that snap over the rail. Can you buy these to pop over any rail to get by? What else can one do to reinforce the back end so this doesn't happen again? This is the only cheap case I own -- I should have known better, but I'd still like to get by with it as there are no other problems at the moment.

Quick and cheap: Drill out the offending holes, and use new bolts, nuts and washers. Been there, done that.

• Members

Back support (the amp's, not your's). Placing the heaviest amp in the rack botton and placing a block between the rack bottom and amp is the easiest.

But you can also find rackmountable cable rail in straight AND at 2", 4", & 6" offset in. Not made to handle a lot of weight but it can take some of the leveraging strain off the front rack ears.

I've never seen pretapped aluminum rack rail. The aluminum versiions either use the captive nut clips mentioned or a backing mild steel pretapped strip. You can buy heavy steel pretapped rack rail, great for making your own racks or strengthening up cheap ones.

Boomerweps

• CMS Author

A "quick" fix would be to just use a metal screw, just a little bigger the machine screw that no longer works, maybe even a self tapping one.

It's doubtful they would hold up this amp....43lb. You don't get a lot of holding power putting sheet metals screws into hard materials. That's why I suggested using nuts and bolts. But he's got a good fix now that's better than either of ours:D

• CMS Author

Angle brackets from any hardware store are great for supporting the rear of rack units. Simply screw them into the rear under the unit to support the weight, one on each side.

This would work pretty well for the Ampeg amp in question. It's got rubber feet mounted to the rear panel (so you can sit the amp face-up while handling it) and by removing the lower pair and drilling the angle brackets at the right height, it's a simple matter to attach the brackets. Be sure to use as short a screw as possible so it doesn't intrude into the interior of the amp case.

• CMS Author

Look inside the amp BEFORE screwing or drilling into the case. Better to be sure than sorry.

Exactly...Ampeg specifically says that if you've removed the feet and then reinstall them, be sure your hardware is only long enough to attach them again. While it's likely they left some clearance, I wouldn't push the issue.....

Archived