Last power amp question: Crown XTI or QSC PLX

• Members

So I have got 'er narrowed down. I am either going to get a XTI 2000 and an XTI 4000 or a PLX 1804 and a PLX 3602 w/ a Driverack PA.

It will cost me about $300 more for the QSC rig. All amps will be ran in 4 ohms stereo , so the output is fairly similar.

Which rig would you pick and why?

• Members

QSC

The XTI line is nice but the PLX line has proven reliability. The Crown Xs line is on par with the PLX. The XTI is built with a lesser amp adding the processor (XLR I think but could be wrong). The processor should be similar to the dbx unit (both Harman companies).

• Members

I'll admit it, I'm a PLX owner. Love the light weight.

I followed the XTi problems for a while. Go to the LAB and do a search. Lots of DSP teething probs with these amps.

Right NOW, I'd go with the PLX.

I also use a DRPA. 2 things. If the DRPA is fine for you, you can get them for just under $400 via eBay. CONFIRM that they are valid dbx dealers and not grey market resellers for the warranty. Second, STRONGLY consider the jump up to the DR260. No power off thump, MUCH better delay capability, usable via a computer including multiple screen and function control at the same time, sides can be completely seperated for mono main/monitor or mono main/aux fed sub use. Again ebay for under $600.

Boomerweps

• Members

I'll admit it, I'm a PLX owner. Love the light weight.

I followed the XTi problems for a while. Go to the LAB and do a search. Lots of DSP teething probs with these amps.

Right NOW, I'd go with the PLX.

I also use a DRPA. 2 things. If the DRPA is fine for you, you can get them for just under $400 via eBay. CONFIRM that they are valid dbx dealers and not grey market resellers for the warranty. Second, STRONGLY consider the jump up to the DR260. No power off thump, MUCH better delay capability, usable via a computer including multiple screen and function control at the same time, sides can be completely seperated for mono main/monitor or mono main/aux fed sub use. Again ebay for under $600.

Boomerweps

My system is a pretty small 4 box system, so a lot of the features of the Driverack, I probably will not use, but I really like the idea of having a system"brain". Having my eq, sub-synth, xover, etc all in one box is a very attractive feature. It is also attractive to have all of that stuff built right into the amp. I can not find any up to date power consumption listings for the PLX2 amps, does anyone know where I can find them?

Another feature of the Crown XTI's that I really liked was that I could run both amps off of one 20A circuit if I had to.

• Members

My system is a pretty small 4 box system, so a lot of the features of the Driverack, I probably will not use, but I really like the idea of having a system"brain". Having my eq, sub-synth, xover, etc all in one box is a very attractive feature. It is also attractive to have all of that stuff built right into the amp. I can not find any up to date power consumption listings for the PLX2 amps, does anyone know where I can find them?

Another feature of the Crown XTI's that I really liked was that I could run both amps off of one 20A circuit if I had to.

I use my DRPA with self entered speaker presets to use any of 3 sets of tops I use, with or without subs for 6 setups, all at the push of a button or two. Sub-synth is NOT on the other DR models, just the DRPA. Aside from not being able to completely seperate the DRPA channel functions, the power off thump at high SPLs could take out a horn driver and the total 10msec delay is insufficient for some hornloaded subs & pretty useless if you desired to delay the mains to the backline if needed for aligning the mains. It's still a powerhouse, just not a champion ;>( Kinda like a Bronze medalist in the DSP Olympics ;>)

You can go to www.QSC.com and download the new PLX2 manual for power consumption data. It varies, of course, with loads driven. I often run my PLX3402 in 4 ohm stereo, PLX2402 mono bridged 4 ohm, & PLX1602 stereo 8 ohm one side, 2 ohm the other on ONE 15amp circuit. AND I add my FOH rack & mixer if ground hum issues occur. NO clipping though.

Boomerweps

• Members

XTi 2000 1/3 power 4 ohms 120v 13.5-amps 1/3 power 520 watts

-- 7.5-amps 1/8 power 310-watts

XTi 4000 1/3 power 4 ohms 120v 18.9-amps 1/3 power 680 watts

-- 9.8-amps 1/8 power 590 watts

PLX 1804 1/3 power 4 ohms 120v 16.5-amps 1/3 power

-- 9.4-amps 1/8 power

PLX 3602 1/3 power 4 ohms 120v 19.5-amps 1/3 power

-- 11.5-amps 1/8 power

QCS does not list wattage for each output level

• Members

That was my questione exactly. Can I run a PLX 3602 and a 1804 on a single circuit with no problems?

Maybe I'm pushing it, but I run a PLX 3102 and EVERYTHING else (2 self powered speakers, backline, mixer, LED lights (those don't count much), etc) on a single circuit. been doing it for a long time at a lot of venues. never blew a circuit.

• Members

That was my questione exactly. Can I run a PLX 3602 and a 1804 on a single circuit with no problems?

I run (2) PLX 3402 amps on the same circuit. They are both running bridged mono and 4 ohm loads. I get them thumping pretty hard. No problem on the power. When I added the third one, 4 ohm stereo mode, I had problems with circuit breakers. I have them seperated on two circuits now. Smooth sailing. :thu:

• Members

It's not the XTi series that are having all the troubles, it's the megabucks iTech series.

A friend got his XTi4000s for $750 new at the local megastore. He's happy with the performance as compared to his PLX3402s, and he's had no troubles with them.

• Members

It's not the XTi series that are having all the troubles, it's the megabucks iTech series.

A friend got his XTi4000s for $750 new at the local megastore. He's happy with the performance as compared to his PLX3402s, and he's had no troubles with them.

They are having some problems with the XTI series amps also. I don't think the problems are as well known as the Itech problems. I have heard several reports of the XTI's going down. I have also heard many "no problem" reports. Untill Crown gets everything sorted out, I would be looking at QSC or Crest. You can't have an amp die in the middle or before of a show.

Take Care,

John

• Members

Untill Crown gets everything sorted out, I would be looking at QSC or Crest. You can't have an amp die in the middle or before of a show.

I would limit my criticism to the XTi amps. Crown makes amps every bit as strong a reliable as QSC or Crest. I have yet to hear an amp that compares to the Crown Macro-Tech line for shear power, quality, and reliability. I also would noht assume the other manufacturers have a bulletproof product line from top to bottom. It makes more since to me to compare specific products and not companies as a whole.

• Members

Agreed ... but XTI's are not in the same league as Macro-Tech. Have you ever popped the top on one? There's a lot of empty space in there ... especially in the filter cap banks.

In all fairness I haven't used an XTI on a gig but I have bench tested it.

Archived