Best Price on Mackie 1604-VLZ Pro?

• Members

Where do you think I could get the best price on a new Mackie 1604-VLZ Pro? I guess they will be discontinued due to the new VLZ3.

MF has them for $650.00

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-1604VLZ-PRO-Mixer?sku=634213&src=3SOSWXXA

Much thanks!

PS I still like my Behringer DDX3216 but I never found a good way to rack it and my about 15 year old Mackie 1604 VLZ, although still running strong, is getting quite old, the knobs are fading in color and the dust is getting thick on the poor old beast.

• Members

two comments.

CLEAN your old Mackie. It's not rocket surgery. If the pots and faders are not making noise, DO NOT shoot any cleaner into them. the cleaner strips away lube making claening (even with cleaner/lube) a semi-monthly requirement.

Second, you said the older 1604 is running strong. Buying the next generation of the same doesn't gain you a lot, especially since a THIRD generation is being released. IMHO, either stay with what you know and like, the current mixer, or bite the bullet and get the 3rd generation version or an even better, different mixer. I'll admit I'm a cheap bastage but your cost to inprovement ratio is lacking in the purchase of a VLZ Pro, again IMHO.

Boomerweps

• Members

OK. You have many valid reasons.

If you can wait a little while til the VLZ3 gets out & about to the retailers, the VLZ Pro blow out prices will be better for you unless you can talk a deal down now with somebody like NSSL.

Mackie is glowing about using the Onyx mic preamps on the new VLZ and a few other things I don't recall exactly now. I'd do a point by point comparision of the new one before counting it out. Maybe the non-muted Auxes with Mute depressed has been changed ;>)

Boomerweps

• Members

Alby,

On the Musicians Friend web site page for the (second gen?) 1604 VLZ Pro for $649 USD ...

Did you read the user reviews appended to that page? Many of those reviewers report that the 1604-VLZ Pro has reliability issues ...

I would be interested in this mixer myself if not for those reviews ...

-Gary K

• CMS Author

Alby,

On the Musicians Friend web site page for the (second gen?) 1604 VLZ Pro for $649 USD ...

Did you read the user reviews appended to that page? Many of those reviewers report that the 1604-VLZ Pro has reliability issues ...

I would be interested in this mixer myself if not for those reviews ...

-Gary K

I'd be willing to bet the 15 y/o version will on average be more reliable than the newer, which has suffered from well-known issues with their ribbon-cable connections. How many threads have been posted to this forum from guys with this problem???

• Members

I'd be willing to bet the 15 y/o version will on average be more reliable than the newer, which has suffered from well-known issues with their ribbon-cable connections. How many threads have been posted to this forum from guys with this problem???

Man... how do I hold back on this...Craigv is right. The newer 1604's are substandard. As a former 1604 VLZ Pro owner I can't even recommed you spend more than a !4 or $2 on a blowout for that mixer. Craig is right... newer 1604's are manufactured overseas (China) and I had nothing but reliability issues whith mine... purchased in 2002. After two ribbon connector failures (an expensive repair)and numerous issues with pots, jacks, faders, we gave up and invested with a Mix Wiz. I can't tell you how happy we are with that choice (after 18 months) I'm not suggesting you buy a Mix Wiz... I'm suggesting you don't buy a VLZ Pro to replace your older mixer. My bets are on the classic 1604 model out performing and being more reliable than any of the Blowout stock retailers will be offering. Unless you consider $650 a temporary, disposable solution.

• CMS Author

Two more questions:

1) Has there ever been any kind of internet polling or webpage that really looked into this with the Mackie VLZ Pro?

2) Has Mackie ever responded as to fixing the issues either on a one by one after sales basis, or by announcing they have rectified the problems at the source?

If search has been fixed here, just search "Mackie AND ribbon" or "connector" and see how many hits you get on mixers with this problem. Not aware of any polls.

Of the threads I've seen, most that have involved Mackie would get one repair done free in warranty or free if they bitched enough. Some had repeat problems. Never saw anything to indicate Mackie addressed the issues.

Archived