Do Mics "Wear Out"

• Members

Do dynamic microphones (Shure SM58, for example) get old and worn out, or lose their dynamic range, presence, etc? If so, what's the life expectancy of a dynamic mic that has not been abused (not dropped, not kept in smoky environments, etc.)? Thanks.

• Members

Yes they do.

What mic hasn't been subjected to abuse? That little diaphram wears based on how much mechanical use it gets ... but they do last a long time. Heat, smoke, humidity and shock will take their toll over time but don't worry about it much.

• Members

I'm still using the same PE585 I bought in 1983. She's seen countless thousands of hours of performance, many smoky bars, even got plowed over by a fireman, and she still works and sounds great!

At times I've wondered if the mic or cable (original too) have started suffering, but every time it's turned out to be something further down the line.

G:freak:

• Members

Cleaning the gunk that accumulates in the windscreen foam under the grille, and possibly deteriorating foam as well.

Definately compare to a new 58 for example and you will see how poor your existing mic performs though, it is not Shure's best example of "high performance".

• Members

I've tried 58s in the past, and have never liked them one bit.

I did try my 585 through a transformer, and into the Xlr pre on the 1604, and it was horrid. If I tell people I run my 585 directly into a vintage Ibanez AD202, then to the line in on the 1604, they scoff. And yet, I continually have seasoned sound-men, professional jazz players, and studio owners/engineers inquire about the stunning rich professional sound I acquire - I'm best off to just smile.;)

• Members

...well, I DO have to eq the poor ole thing, that's for sure. I've just worked sooo long on it - I know it - I love it - I set it up for my voice - if someone else steps up to it, and screams some Rock and Roll, it'll bight 'em for shure!

(notice I was careful to not make open ended claims like "it's the best mic in the world", or anything...;) )

Goldenvoice:freak:

• Members

I like the AKG C420 headset for my voice, a nice open warm articulate sound for a small capsule condenser. Strangely enough I dislike the Crown CM311 due to the intrusive head piece and somewhat closed and pinched mids, although the GBF was much better.

Try a headset, free your hands.

• Members

Hello. New here but have read so much about 58's, I got my 20 yr old sm58 out and sang for a couple of hours. Sounded great to me. I replaced screen and foam a year or so ago for about $15. I also love my CM311 for my sound (which also may only sound great to me)

Archived