Almost stupid Amp feed question...

• Members

I've used powered mixers for so long, I've spaced a bit, and have a question.

I'm currently using my "old" system, since my other PA died.

I'm running 1/4" TS cables out of my 1604, through an eq, and again 1/4" TS to the MP 1200 power amp. The amps inputs are balanced. It seems to not have the balls it did/should.

Question: am I feeding only half the signal to the amp it would like? Only half of a balanced signal?

Will it run quite louder if I run balanced all the way through?

I was able to run unity through the 1604 (or very close), to the Power amp at full volume, and nicely drive my vintage 75 watt Fender cabs... Seems it should have been blasting hard, but wasn't...

G:freak:

• Members

"Half" the signal may not be the right way to say it but....

Yes you are not getting full signal input to the amp. It should get more input signal with a balanced signal. If you are running a TS cable into a TRS plug then you are only sending 1-leg of a 2-legged signal.

• Members

Are you saying that if I were to not touch a single knob or fader, and just replaced the unbalanced lines with balanced, the volume would go down?

G:confused:

Yes, as agedhorse said. The reason is with a balanced connetcion, you are sending two signals that get added together. 2x the signal = +6dB.

• Members

OK, great - so the amp will react as having more power with balanced cables then it does now with unbalanced TS cables.

That pretty much answers my question. I figure I can buy a lighter amp, and run balanced!

Amps have been interesting - seems the older amps have more power for a given rating. My old Altec Lansing was only rated at 100 watts - that's mono, but that ole gal would crank and sound great doing it!

My newer Crate was rated at 350 mono...

No more powerful...

• Members

OK, great - so the amp will react as having more power with balanced cables then it does now with unbalanced TS cables.

Not quite. The amp will react as though it was being fed a stronger signal from the mixer or EQ. With a higher/better sound to noise ratio.

Boomerweps

Archived