Big ultra-light plastic rack?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah that's my experience too. Too bad because the only way to get over 12U that I know of is to get much heavier, for example the SKB SKB19R1006 @ 39 lbs.

I know it's not an ultra-light effects rack per se, but it does give a total of 16 spaces @ 39 lbs. But that

• Members

Also, once you get all your equipment in there I doubt the actual weight of the case will make much difference, and besides, the whole point of the case is to protect your investment, right? Mark at audiopile.net has some neat rolling cases, check 'em out. I like the shock cases with casters, myself.

• Members

Stay away from the Gator and Skb type cases, they suck if you put anything heavy in them.

I saw these at NAMM this year:

www.headkase.com

They seemed really sturdy, they are made of the same kind of plastic that they make those huge septic and chemical tanks out of and the same aluminum angle edges and steel handles and corners as regular ata cases, but they seem much lighter than wood ones.

*edit* Damn the page that the link goes to is down at the moment. I don't have another one either. :(

• Members

I went to www.gatorcases.com and found that they DO make a 16RU plastic case in their G-rack series. These are the suspended internal frame anti-shock models.

However, I agree with the other's assessments. Even at 12RU, the plastic cases get pretty heavy for one man with just light processors. I use a MBT 10RU for FOH and it's about 90# loaded. Far better to get a heavy duty wood case OR TWO smaller plastic cases.

Boomerweps

• Members

Also, once you get all your equipment in there I doubt the actual weight of the case will make much difference,

Yep! When I was doing my bass rig, I realized I'm going to have a 40 pound poweramp and about ten other units in the rack... the rack weight itself at that point was negligible. I just split it into two smaller racks, but still went with wooden ones (Road Ready). Still glad I did. Hated all the SKB cases for everything except warranty... those {censored}ing latches tore up everything I owned when loading it... shirts, arms, etc.

• Members

Thanks kindly for the interesting posts!

I do a local solo act (30 years going), no one touches my stuff but me, there are no third party trucking, airlines or other transport issues. I have been using all SKB stuff for 20 years + (whenever SKB first came out - anybody remember?) and the worst that has happened is a latch had to be re-riveted and SKB paid for the new one out of warranty.

You guys (most not all) don

• Members
Is any of that stuff shallow enough to mount on the rear rails of the 12 space?

Yes but then I cannot get to it quickly if needed, but I'm thinking 'bout doing that with some of the stuff, good thinking!

• Members

Does it all really need to be in one rack? A light plastic rack is still going to be heavy once you get everything in there. I'd say just divide your equipment into two racks or even three and just stack 'em on top of each other when you've got to perform. Two small, lighter cases will always be better than one huge heavy case.

Dude I just read your equipment list and I can't help but think, that's a LOT of stuff for a small local act. Is all that really necessary?

At the moment I have it split onto four SKB cases but the longer cabling etc can then start to weigh as much as the contents! Also the farting around to interconnect them increases setup and tear down and decreases reliability.

As to your question of

• Members

At the moment I have it split onto four SKB cases but the longer cabling etc can then start to weigh as much as the contents! Also the farting around to interconnect them increases setup and tear down and decreases reliability.

Ah yes, I see. Well, if you were really going to put it all in one case I'd suggest you get one of the EWI racks from audipile that have casters. Sure it'll be heavy getting it in/out of the truck and up/down stairs but if you can get someone to help it's easy as pie. From there it's just a matter of pushing it around.

• Members

When I first started some years ago (pre-midi!) I tried that route with a pro rack custom made to my specs with wheels and all.

The bottom line is very simple, solo acts cannot rely on help and your hands are needed to finesse the guitar not for getting sore. Buckets of hot water at the end of each gig for my hands is not my idea of a holiday. Years ago I vowed never to have any one unit weight more than X. That X has been going down steadily and now sits @ 55 lbs. give or take a smidgen.

Also you are forgetting that the in/out of the gig is only a part of the gear transport issue, I have to get it in and out of the house and although I did not say so prior, we live in foothills of the mountains by the ocean and lakes, and let

• Members

You already have whatever ground loops you have, you are not increasing them by using a multipin.

If I were you, I would look at whatever way possible to simplify what you carry around... that would maybe mean investing in a couple of new higher performance pieces that would eliminate a LOT of weight and hassle. Even if that means making some compromises.

Just MY opinion.

• Members
You already have whatever ground loops you have, you If I were you, I would look at whatever way possible to simplify what you carry around... that would maybe mean investing in a couple of new higher performance pieces that would eliminate a LOT of weight and hassle. Even if that means making some compromises.

Just MY opinion.

Do you have any further views on my above post as I edited it some. Your opinion is a fine one and that

• Members

When I split my bass rig, I made sure to split in a way that required the least number of connections between the two racks possible. It shouldn't be hard to devise something that would do this. For example, my preamp had an effects loop, so one case would have the power conditioner, wireless system, preamp, and poweramp; the other box had the effects boxes, compressor, EQ, etc, and a surge protector. When I got to the gig, I'd set one box on top of the other, plug the surge protector from the bottom case into the power conditioner on the top, and then plug in two 1/4" cables (effects send and return). Done.

Obviously yours might not be this simple but could you have, say, all the MIDI and backing stuff in one case, and all the guitar stuff (synth, POD, etc) in the other?

I'm not a solo act but I'm the only one who gets to load my gear in the car at my house, bring it into the gig, etc... usually without help since I'm the drummer and I'm the first one there. My drum sub/monitor is about 150 pounds and too wide for one person to carry... not to mention it only weighs a few pounds less than I do. I get it into my hatchback by wheeling it down the stairs on a handtruck/moving dolly, angling it against the back of my car, and lifting/sliding it in. If I know there are only a couple stairs, I'll just bring a small piece of plywood as a makeshift ramp. Even a large rack on a moving dolly is a one-man operation as long as it's bottom-heavy.

Another option... instead of a lighter poweramp, maybe a smaller one? One of the 1U poweramps might be a solution? Half-rack effects units, or shallow effects units mounted on the back of a deeper rack? I saved a lot of space in my drum monitor rack by mounting my sampler, MIDI converter, and small mixer in the LID of the rack, instead of in a 2U drawer... those things are heavy and big. Again, it meant plugging in two cables when I got there... but it saved 2U, too!

Archived