• Members

i know we all get hot once and a while. i also know that the 2.5 hours of sleep i got is affecting my patience. at least i was smart enough NOT to respond.

but i need to vent. my apologies.

long story short:

we record live shows. all the time. i built a 12 channel splitter. its a hard split with ground lifts on the split side. i know hard splits have issues and transformer splits are better. i only have one channel of transformer split in addition to the 12 channels of hard split.

a month ago my splitter broke mid show. channel 10 went dead at FOH. we bypassed channel ten quickly with a transformer split. no big deal. i took the splitter into the shop and discovered an xlr had cracked and wouldnt pass signal on pin 3. i replaced the jack. while it was in the shop i cleaned every pin and hole thouroghly, and checked every connection with a multimeter, even the ground lift switches.

since then i have used the splitter a great number of times without issue, most recently last night. there were no splitter related issues last night although there should have been. we used my hard split into another mon/foh hard split installed at a venue. this was bad, and suprisingly no issues arose. i was suprised. the only issue we had was pro tools le puked 3.5 hours into the four hour show - hit record and it went to the end.

this morning another venue another show. weve had issues at this venue in the past. old, built in runs and rickety power. we do not provide FOH at this venue.

this morning we attempted to use the hard split. we ended up having to once again run spagetti to get the splitter into all the stage pockets which are spead all over the stage. most of the pockets are on a hydrolyc pit does anyone think this may pose a threat to cabling? i do.

when all was said and done channels 4, 8, and 11 were a buzz fest. not a lot different from the last time. we spoke to the FOH guy (mr. hotfingerz) and he said channels 5 and 11 are known bad channels. we iso'd channel 11 last time and we are unsure how but he remedied the other channels buzzing issues. recording turned out remarkable.

this morning we were in the process of iso'ing 11 went the three channels in question went completely dead one after the other. i sent a guy up to see what happened. hotfingerz pulled his cables out of the splitter and into his pockets. no buzzing.

the hotfingerz came down and royally bitched me out, i need to check my wiring, we cant have buzzing in the PA, i wont let you run that splitter again etc etc.

i was and still am livid. i remained calm and said thats fine we will set up our own mics from now on.

i'm not pissed about him not wanting to use the splitter. i can understand that.

i AM pissed that he came down and bitched me out in front of everyone when i beleive the issues are his. HE needs to check his wiring, HIS wiring is admittedly bad, HE admitted it. we ended up setting our own mics out for the pulled channels and the recording should go well when it happens later tonight although there are a few extra mics out there.

next time i WILL NOT bring the splitter, we will set out all our own mics, and he will not get the signal from our drum mics (he has no mics for the drums!?!)

i wanted to yell at this guy but i am still awake enough to know i'm in rough shape today and dont burn bridges coaster.

how does a splitter function properly in several venues but not in ONE, and it is the fault of the splitter? it doesnt make sense to me.

i understand hotfingaz is under as much pressure as anyone else and i am willing to cut slack but i feel grossly disrespected right now.

• Members

I don;t have much time for a response but the only quick thing I can say is when you're the mobile recording guy you should be using transformered splits because of dip{censored}s like him. 12 channels of transormed split won't break the bank either, get it done with. As for the using your own mics tonite, go for it. You should see where his AC is coming from though before any splitting goes on.

p

• Members

I know it is of little comfort now, but Mark over at Audiopile sells some rack mount 4 channel splitters, MST 412. They are transformer isolated and will do a three way split, ie foh, monitor and record. I have 6 of them (24 channels) and have never had an issue with them. A few of these and some patch snakes and you are in business. Mine have paid for themselfs many times over. I'll agree on the AC. Check and see what is going on.

Take Care,

John

• Members

yes i have looked at those and have seriously considered them.

sescom also has transformers available, the ones i think most applicable are about $45 each, unknown quality (to me)

the ewi racks look good; for over $300 i could have 12 iso's. the necessary whips i could build, but they would co$t me a little scratch.

there also could very easily be something very wrong with the power, i highly suspect there is.

Archived