Pole Socket

• Members

Didn't know which thread to put this Q in - Lighting, DIY, or Live Sound, so let's try it here first.

I'm about to put a second set of pole sockets into the tops of my sub cabinets (Yami Club 18s) in order to mount my front lighting poles/t-bars directly into the cabinet, thereby eliminating the need for the tripods, making more room, having less stuff to load in/out, and generally making our rig cleaner.

Anyone think of a good reason why I shouldn't do this?

thnx, d.

• Members

Most lighting trees use 1 1/2" tubing and fittings. 1 1/2" O clamps are readily available where as 1 3/8" are not. The 1 1/2" tubing is also stronger.

Good answer, although I'd qualify that 1 1/2" is slightly stronger than 1 3/8" tubing if all else is equitable (same wall thickness, material type, etc...).

Also: I suggest in addition to sourcing good metal (steel) hats (stand cups) like this:

www.penn-elcom.com/ProductDetail.asp?PN=M1552&GC=54&MD=B&ST=&NP=0

also mount the hats into the cabinets with at least machine screws and tee nuts, or preferrably with backing plates sized for the hats, example:

www.penn-elcom.com/ProductDetail.asp?PN=M1551/BP&GC=54&MD=B&ST=&NP=0

• Members

Overall, IMHO, a good idea with bad implementation.

Size depends on what vertical pole you are using.

Placement of the top hat (socket) would have to be well offset from the speaker cone and any interior braces, likely offset towards a rear corner. A foolish helper MIGHT try to mount the top speaker in the light pole socket.

Why not use those nice "O-ring" type clamps bolted to the lightbar's center to attach to the existing speaker pole? This leaves the subs stock. Bonus, the balance stays even.

I put the O-ring clamps on each of my sound to chase controllers for easy on/off mounting. And I have 4 PAR 36s that have simple metal gouging C clamps that I can attach to the sub to top's poles by themselves, although we usually attach them to the light stand tripod legs for an up under stage wash.

Boomerweps

• Members

Why not use those nice "O-ring" type clamps bolted to the lightbar's center to attach to the existing speaker pole? This leaves the subs stock. Bonus, the balance stays even.

I'm not sure I get what you mean here. Are you saying put the light bar on the existing speaker pole? Then where do I put my main cabinets? I'm already using the poles to mount Yamaha Club 15s on top. If you know the subs, the existing pole socket is far forward leaving a lot of space towards the back. If I mount my new, light pole, sockets towards the back, this means my light bar will end up slightly behind and above the mains cabs (of course with the lights pointing back toward the stage). This would actually be MORE stable on the front to back axis (which really isn't a concern), but yeah probably too unstable on a side to side axis. hmmm.

• Members

No, I mean a clamp to mount the light bar in the middle or wherever it fits best with the lights pointed the way you want. You can move them up or down the pole where desired. You'll likely have to pull off or slide over the bar's T fitting to center the clamp and drill a mounting hole in the middle of your light bar. Oh, and add a longer bolt to go through the light bar.

This is actually a break-in-half light bar to do similar as above:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quick-Release-Lighting-Bar-1-1-2-1-3-8-Light-Stands_W0QQitemZ170073317618QQihZ007QQcategoryZ29945QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've also seen (& bought) half bars that slide onto a stand or pole that has 2 light mount holes and a support brace but I couldn't find a pic or link quickly ;>( I bought them for the same purpose, to mount on a sub to tops connecting pole, and to place on extra speaker stands I have when they aren't supporting speakers ;>)

Boomerweps

Archived