Is there any way I can adjust volume on monitors with a powered mixer?

• Members

Powered mixers have no aux sends, so i obviously can't plug in monitors. But i can split the output in the back, then my monitors are as loud as my speakers. is there anything i can put between the mixer and the monitors to adjust the volume? would a volume guitar pedal work?

• Members

Powered amps have no aux sends, so i obviously can't plug in monitors. But i can split the output in the back, then my monitors are as loud as my speakers. is there anything i can put between the mixer and the monitors to adjust the volume? would a volume guitar pedal work?

umm...

Do you mean powered mixers? Depending on the model powered mixer do have aux sends. On a power amp, which is just the amp no mixer, you have 2 channels with 2 gain knobs on the front, so you could plug your mains into one channel and daisy chain. Then, put your monitors on the other channel daisy chain and control both volumes on the front.

Are you planning on just using a power amp and speakers to run your whole set up?

• Members

It seems like you want to daisey chain monitors from your FOH (front of house - what the audience hears) speakers. Your problem is controlling the volume of the monitors independent of the FOH speakers.

I've seen some cheap Fender monitors that have a built-in variable attenuator. I'm guessing you'll need to find something like that to put between the FOH speaker and your monitor.

Perhaps a better option would be to take the rca line outs (rec out) and feed them into a seperate amp (with attenuators/volume control) to drive your montitors.

The problem here is you have a very basic powered mixer and a "one step up" model would suit your purposes better. As an old forum regular used to say "buy once - cry once".

• Members

I got a behringer PMH518M 180W 5-channel powered mixer. i have decent monitors, just can't use em.

Then you bought the wrong piece of equipment for the job. Plenty of powered mixers give you level controls of the monitor sends on the channels and the overall monitor outputs. You just happened to buy one that doesn't.

Archived