Impedance Question

• Members

I've got a Mixer that has a 2 ch. output mode and a bridged mode. In the 2 ch. mode, the impedance per speaker is 4-8 ohms, in bridged, it is 8-16 ohms. I'm not totally familiar with how impedance works.

Here's the scenario:

What is the best setup using 8 ohm speakers?(at least 2 speakers though) Basically what yields optimum performance? For example: would 2 speakers, running 1 from each channel be better, the same, or worse than running 2 speakers from each channel?

• Members

The "why" of it is that two 8-ohm speakers connected together in parallel, and then to the bridged amp, will be a 4-ohm load. This is lower than the rated range for that amp, 8-16ohms.

alright, that makes sense. But does with a range of 4-8 ohms on the channel, would one 8 ohm speaker at 8 ohms have the same output as 2 identical 8 ohms running parallel at 4 ohms?

• CMS Author

alright, that makes sense. But with a range of 4-8 ohms on the channel, with one 8 ohm speaker would the amp have the same output as 2 identical 8 ohms running parallel at 4 ohms?

I edited your quote above to say what I think you were asking.

No, for most solid state amps a lower impedance load will increase the amp's power output. The 4 ohm output is probably about 2x that of the 8 ohm. This isn't a free lunch, as there's a limit to how low you can go...in your case, 4 ohms on each channel.

Archived