vocal reverb

• Members

In the world of new gear, the less expensive unit I would recommend is the Lexicon MX200. It is about $200 (or less), easy to use and sounds decent.

In the next price level (400-500) I would recommend the T.C. Electronics M-One XL.

• Members

There's a ton of used products available, one of the best values out there is the Alesis Nanoverb and Picoverb, also a used Microverb 3 or 4 are pretty decent and VERY cheap now since they are not new and sexy.

The only unit I would stay away from is the Yamaha REV-100, just doesn't sound very good. A used SPX-90 or 900 is also a good value, though not as cheap as the Alesis product.

• Members

I am using a GSP 6 rack mountable guitar processor (OLD) as the effects unit in a little system that i have for acoustic gigs. I has a preset called "intimate hall" that sound nice as a little reverb for on vocals, guitar, and my hrmonica.

If it could be found it could be bought for about $50 I bet. Please don't make fun of me for using it.

• Members

The only unit I would stay away from is the Yamaha REV-100, just doesn't sound very good. A used SPX-90 or 900 is also a good value, though not as cheap as the Alesis product.

Agreement here on the REV-100. Yamaha made some good units but this one was a stinker

• Members

I'm using the Lexicon MX200. Good unit. I only use 4 pre-sets for myself, but they're exactly what I want. If I find something I need a bit different, it's easy to work off what I have and design a new pre-set. Discounted you can find for about $160.

• Members

I like the simplicity of the older Alesis nano's . Very simple to set up and use, and the sound quality is fine for live stuff. A used one should be well within anyone's price range. The Quadraverb was good,too. If you want new, then I'd say look at the T.C. Electronics stuff.

• Members

IMO you should avoid the Alesis MidiVerb IV. I couldn't get a thing out of it that I liked.

The cheap TC is good. The cheap Lexicon is good in mono (I've not heard it in stereo). The M1 is very good.

In the $400 range, a used M2000 or Rumour.

• Members

Guys, this is for basic vocal reverbs and that's one thing all of the Alesis units do pretty well, and for a reasonable cost. Of course there's better preformers for more money but there's also some pretty poor (and/or inappropriate) stuff out there too, both really cheap and pretty expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The microverb III is a solid verb, quiet, easy to use and reliable. Be sure to set the mix control to 100% wet when using it with the effects return of your console. I may have an owners manual in my archives if you find you need it.

• Members

There's a ton of used products available, one of the best values out there is the Alesis Nanoverb and Picoverb, also a used Microverb 3 or 4 are pretty decent and VERY cheap now since they are not new and sexy.

hehe i actually like my rev 100 for delays... i agree the verbs are :blah: but i can get a pretty decent delay sound out of it ! :D

• Members

Thanks for the advice guys. I've "invested" in a microverb III on ebay - about $80 including shipping. I'll let you know how the sound is.

You can download the manual from the Alesis site. Unfortunately, it doesn't include the presets list. You have to ask them to send you a copy, like I did. Also unfortunately, when I sold my MV3 I sent along the manual and preset list and my only other copy was in the computer that fried a year later ;>(

Luckily, MOST of the presets are simply named and the 12 or 16 sub sets of those just lengthen the parameter so it's easy to use without that list, except for the last couple special main settings or if you wanted to use a specific known delay by time.

I really liked my Microverb 3, just disliked that wall wart power supply falling out in transit and sticking down below the unit in a space limited rack.

Boomerweps

• Members

Reverb -- one of my pet peeves. The number one rule for reverb is "less is more." When you set it up, add it in until you like it, then back off some. You want people to say "Hey, I like how the vocals sound," not "Hey, I like the reverb on the vocals."

• Members

hehe i actually like my rev 100 for delays... i agree the verbs are
:blah:
but i can get a pretty decent delay sound out of it !
:D

The delays are fine, the reverbs were pretty rough and metallic sounding. Just not one of yamaha's better attempts.

• Members

Reverb -- one of my pet peeves. The number one rule for reverb is "less is more." When you set it up, add it in until you like it, then back off some. You want people to say "Hey, I like how the vocals sound," not "Hey, I like the reverb on the vocals."

Agreed completely. You can always tell a group that set their effects in one room, then didn't actually listen to the sound when soundchecking in a new venue.

Archived