What's responsible for abnormal noise on stage?

• Members

Following the instructions on the handbook, I used to cranked up the output level on my PODxt live almost all the way up, (The handbook says this ensures best Signal-Noise Ratio, and it worked fine!)

However, last time I tried to do so, I suffered from a unbearable noise, which can only be reduced by lowering the output level on the POD (from 85% to 20%), and compensating it by boosting using the mixer.

Notic that, in that case, I use a tone that has no noise gate hooked in, and a relatively long distance of cable, probably low quality. And I forgot whether I used the amp output mode or the line output mode......

I've been really puzzled...

If any one will come up with some explanation, appreciated!!

• Members

Wow~~ thank you guys! these replies really inspire!

Sorry I wasn't specific enough...

it ws background noise, loud when I was not playing, and gave bad feedback when playing... frequency... um.... don't remember.......

the cable ran 15 meter maybe.. the signal was the unbalanced output from POD, via TRS cable.

I guess, maybe there are not enough clues to find out the exact reason..~ but any suspicious weakpoints?

• Members

Wow~~ thank you guys! these replies really inspire!

Sorry I wasn't specific enough...

it ws background noise, loud when I was not playing, and gave bad feedback when playing... frequency... um.... don't remember.......

the cable ran 15 meter maybe.. the signal was the unbalanced output from POD, via TRS cable.

I guess, maybe there are not enough clues to find out the exact reason..~ but any suspicious weakpoints?

Don't use a TRS cable with an unbalanced output....:eek:

• Members

Yes, I used much distortion and compression on that tone...

Clean tone and tones that were with noise gate were immune to these..

Yup, there's your problem. Noise will increase directly proportional to the additional gain reduction from both the compression and distortion effects. try backing down on this.

Archived