Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opening act sound sux, headliner has great sound

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "can you add grind and drive type death metal distortion to the vocals, dude" usually sets the mood for the rest of the day!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

I too have been on the other side of the coin in that the opener I have mixed for sounded better than the headliner.

I already knew that I was going to be turned down; I saw them do it. The opener, us, were using the house mixer. I talked real nice to the house engineer the whole time I was there so he showed me around the mixer and outboard gear. He also said I could do anything I wanted to the mixer and house eq, as the headliner had their own mixer and outboard. I got the band up in a couple of minutes. I was adjusting stuff faster than I ever have. Must have been adrenaline. I had that "audience friendly" mix agedhorse mentioned. It sounded great out of the house system the whole time we played.

Then, when the headliner came on, with their own mixer (I can't remember what it was) they sounded loud, harsh, and really out of balance.

I have never felt so satisfied that I could sound better than one of the so-called "big boys".
      Dale Christenson Sound4U A local sound provider serving Oklahoma and surrounding areas. http://sound4u.co Presonus: RM32ai mixer, CS18ai control surface, SL16.4.2 mixer SL328ai speakers X4 Presonus ULT15 speakers x4 JBL: SRX728 Subs x2 Driverack PA2 (for subs)

Comment

Go for the good, solid, basic mix FIRST, then add just enough sweet stuff to fill it out and no more. This alone will get you sounding better than many bands I hear these days. There are some really good engineers that tour through our place and the ones who get the really good sound are the ones who tend to follow the guidlines I described. It's really not a big secret or that difficuly.

Oh, also remember that faders also mobve in the DOWN direction!
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

So, what do they do to sabotage the opening act?

I've done it a few times. Someone has to be a real persistent dick to me for me to go there, though. I wrote about one of them.

Terry D.
          Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

It's not the playing, dummy, it's the sound guy doing it like it SHOULD be.

I'd say typically it's about a 50/50 thing. I'd say rarely it's just the soundperson's fault. Oftentimes, it's the same person mixing both opening and headliner.

Comment

Working...
            X