Peavey Messenger ST cabinets

• Members

I'm trying to put together a reasonable PA for not much money (who isn't?); I'm thinking of a Yamaha 512 mixer amp (1000w total output will be plenty for the forseeable future- no need to go down the separate mixer+power amp route I think). I'll need a couple of cheap cabs and the Peavey ST series are, erm, cheap! I'm not going to ask if they're any 'good', but are they totally horrendous? Are they in Behringer territory, for example?

I can get a pair of ST-15s for

• Members

Oh and my usual caveat (I should put this in my sig!): I live on a wee island that's five hours from anywhere, virtually no 2nd hand market, everything has to be mail order, blah blah, cannot try before I buy, etc.

This is probably the best reason I can think of to buy a known quantity, a product that is generally regarded as a good performer. Buying something that is not horrendous is setting the stage for disappointment in my opinion.

• Members

The only reference to the ST series I cna find on t'internet is fromonline retailers, who all spout the same paragraph about quality budget gear blah blah :blah:

However my drummer is going to lend me his Peavey Eurosys cabs for just now... it'll tide me over, and I'll have to be careful not to blow them up (lower wattage)... and I'll keep saving for my own gear.

But... surely... someone must have bought ST cabs?

• Members

Ok, how about you buy a pair of powered peavey PR series speakers? They work out cheaper than buying seperate amp and speaker, they have mic preamps built in (saves you buying a mixer altogether if you only need a single mic feed), they're lightweight, and most importantly, they're a step up from the ST series. Plenty people on here are happy with the PR speakers, so chances are you will be too. The ST series...who knows...why chance it?

If you really want a pair of unpowered speakers for ~

Archived