No more home stereo-PA. Stepping up a little. Opinions on this rig(s)?

• Members

Hiya gents,

You talked me out of trying to use home speaker towers with a Behringer powered mixer and gave me a good beating in the process. Now I'm looking for affirmation on the alternative.

Requirements: probably vocals only (maybe bass direct sometimes), loud, heard relatively clearly over two 100w tube amps athrough 4x12s, 300w bass and unmiked drums. Turned up.

Have a line on a Yamaha EMX5000-12 (2x500w) and two PV SP-15s, used but fully functional, all for $500 (and two hours travel!). Also came across some giant old Peavey bins with a 15" and a horn, think there SP2s, say they're rated for 150w, but look much sturdier (the guy advertised them as 300w program) for $200. I'm ignorant enough to like the old stuff and would be curious to know whether these might sound better/be as loud with stereo 500 amp. (I'd then sell the newer PR15s.)

Grateful for any advice--or even another beating.

• Members

Hiya gents,

You talked me out of trying to use home speaker towers with a Behringer powered mixer and gave me a good beating in the process. Now I'm looking for affirmation on the alternative.

Requirements: probably vocals only (maybe bass direct sometimes), loud, heard relatively clearly over two 100w tube amps athrough 4x12s, 300w bass and unmiked drums. Turned up.

Have a line on a Yamaha EMX5000-12 (2x500w) and two PV SP-15s, used but fully functional, all for $500 (and two hours travel!). Also came across some giant old Peavey bins with a 15" and a horn, think there SP2s, say they're rated for 150w, but look much sturdier (the guy advertised them as 300w program) for $200. I'm ignorant enough to like the old stuff and would be curious to know whether these might sound better/be as loud with stereo 500 amp. (I'd then sell the newer PR15s.)

Grateful for any advice--or even another beating.

The Yamaha and I imagine PV15s or PR15s (never heard of an SP15)? seem like a good deal for 500$ and should provide enough volume for your use. The bigger, heavier and much older SP2s (150 watts RMS/300 Program) I am familiar with and although they are tough speakers, are not the best sounding IMO or prettiest available. The times I have used them, I found their sound very middy and annoying but loud none the less... Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ services

Archived