Long Cable Runs

• Members

I've sort of painted myself into a corner on my PA setup. I needed to seperate some of the processors away from the mixer rack into a seperate case where I'll have them within my grasp on stage while the mixer can be anywhere out front.

This causes a little bit of a dilemna though as I have one 1/4" unbalanced line level signal that needs to run from the mixer to my case on the stage. This is simple of course when the units are close by just using a standard 1/4" audio cable, but this run could get up to as far as 50-100ft away.

I'm already using a direct box elsewhere and I see plently of products to convert unbalanced to balanced but where are the products to convert balanced to unbalanced?

Does a guy convert to balanced and then unbalanced? How?

Are there unbalanced audio cables that can handle a run that long?

Any suggestions/solutions welcomed please.

Greg

• Members

A 1:1 audio transformer will convert from "balanced" to unbalanced and back again. We build a lot of these for our commercial customers to solve the specific type of problem you describe. Not only does it isolate, but it also provides for various ground termination options. They run about $35 each, not a lot when you consider they will solve problems that no other method can solve. I've always got plenty of the parts in stock. We also use them in our cinema sound service to isolate signal from processors and video interfaces.

Archived