My EV-S181 subs with new APX 1841's

• Members

I got my 2 APX 1841's and installed them into the EV-S181 subs last night.

Thanks Mark and Liz!!:thu:

Because I do not have a seperate amp dedicated to the subs, I connected them to my B52 Active 18 subs. This gave each 18 (4 total) 600 watts to work with.

This was with a cd, not live.

They put out alot more than they did with the original EV speakers. The low end was large. Not chest caving, but alot of SPL and somewhat boomy.

Until I get a dedicated amp, I cannot isolate just the EV's from the B52's. They are either all on, or all off. The front loaded B52 put out less volume, but seem to be more musical.

I plan on getting an amp with about 350-400 watts for each sub.

I guess I got about what I expected.

:D

• Members

I have the same speakers loaded with the APX drivers. Usually powered by a yamaha P7000 in stereo one or two per channel, so 550-700w per driver. HPF @ 40 or 45, crossed at 100, they get very efficient around 150-200hz so a sharp LPF is needed. This with a pair of EV S122's have been on of my money rigs for a year and a half now (paid for itself and gets used quite a bit).

If you have a decent crossover you should be ok with a similar sized amp, but remember it's easy to over exert these in this cab, also don't expect 30hz either, they work well in multiples but if I need 4 i'll drag out the dual 18s for that...

• Members

I have the same speakers loaded with the APX drivers. Usually powered by a yamaha P7000 in stereo one or two per channel, so 550-700w per driver. HPF @ 40 or 45, crossed at 100, they get very efficient around 150-200hz so a sharp LPF is needed. This with a pair of EV S122's have been on of my money rigs for a year and a half now (paid for itself and gets used quite a bit).

If you have a decent crossover you should be ok with a similar sized amp, but remember it's easy to over exert these in this cab, also don't expect 30hz either, they work well in multiples but if I need 4 i'll drag out the dual 18s for that...

Yeah, I keep my crossover 30 Htz low cut on all the time anyway, and my EQ sliders at 20, 25, 32, are all the way down. I was thinking of about 400 watts each.

• Members

Does your B-52 have an additional power amp out jack or is it something you are jury-rigged? Powered speakers generally can only drive themselves (with a couple of exceptions) and their SOA protection is designed around that.

Yes they do have a speaker out on them with an on/off switch also. An active speaker is designed to power itself and a passive speaker just like it.

The amp sees a total of 4 ohms as long as both are 8 ohm each.

800 watts @ 8 ohms

1200 watts @ 4 ohms

• Members

Yes they do have a speaker out on them with an on/off switch also. An active speaker is designed to power itself and a passive speaker just like it.

The amp sees a total of 4 ohms as long as both are 8 ohm each.

800 watts @ 8 ohms

1200 watts @ 4 ohms

Yup... B-52 designs them to be able to power another B-52 Act-18 passive subwoofer, but I guess you can substitute that second Act-18 for any sub just as he is doing... This is why I was asking about them in the past - $1300 (before discount) gets you 2 18" subs powered...

Archived