Looking to buy new RF Mics

• Members

OK the venue I work for has 4 old UHF mic systems (Shure UC systems). We have sm81 tops on all 4 and 3 Beta 58a tops that we can interchange if needed. These units have served us well but after 8-10 years of hard use they are finaly wearing out (the large circlips inside the body don't stay in place due to worn plastic grooves, The 9V battery clips are toast). We're looking to upgrade but would of course like to keep our Xtra capsules available as options so we want to buy another Shure product.

I would love to get the Shure UHF-R system but they're really expensive so I'm thinking about the Shure ULX Pro system. I'm open to feedback and suggestions from you guys before I recommend this to my boss.

Thanks

• Members

I assume you mean SM-87 not 81???

The ULX-Pro's seem to work pretty well. I just installed 4 with the DA and directional anetnnas and no problems. The mic heads are indeed interchangable.

I have a bunch of the UHF series (U4D/U1/U2) that I have had since they first came out and though they were very costly (probably about $40k worth), have proven to be a great value in the long run. The UHFR's are an improvement, but again they are pretty costly.

Another wireless that we have in our inventory is the AT-5000 series which may sound a little better than the Shure UHF's but can't say for sure since the mic elements are so different. They do not come with interchangable heads though, and the Shure mics do not fit the AT xmitters.

I don't think you can go wrong (performance-wise) with any of the choices really. It's all good stuff.

• Members

I just caught that. Yes I did mean 87. I've used the AT systems at another job and was impressed with their reliability and performance. Usualy an 58, b58 or 87 will satisfy the riders we get so we're probably going to stick with Shure.

Here's a question I forgot to ask. I know that antennas are matched to the rf freq but does anyone make a antenna combiner for UHF systems? It sure would be great to remote the recieviers antennas in an optimal location (without building a pair of porcupine like antenna fields somewhere in the wings). We don't really have drop out problems now but hey stronger signal is always better.

Thanks for the reply

• Members

Shure makes a wide band antenna combiner that works for both systems.

The AT-3000 series is a good product as well, but not as rider-friendly and if you need to interface with artist provided headsets for bodypack systems, the Shure TA4F connetor is going to be what's expected.

• Members

One thing to consider may be control of your wireless stuff. I have experience with UHF-R, UC, U1, ULXP and ULXs systems and I find them all to represent quality within the price range. I find the UHF-R stuff to be of noticeably better quality than the UHF stuff (which is still good, btw). I have not been able to directly compare the ULX stuff to the UHF/ or ® stuff, however. FAIK, ULXP does not offer control through the wireless workbench software. I don't know how you plan to use your stuff, but this may be an issue for you to consider.

Archived