A big thank you the Peavey and DDT

• Members

for they are responsible for saving millions of speakers over the years from flat out BAD soundpersons and bar bands.

Yesterday a friend called and asked for help setting up his PA for a gig on friday/saturday. Let's start with the begining of the signal chain and move from there...

Mics: Behringer XM8500. I bought these for me and give them to "bob" for use when not needed (a lot). These are the best part of the system....

Mixer/monitor amp: Mackie 406S. Line level main outs to amp rack, monitor amp outs to 3x yamaha monitors.

Amp rack: Audio Logic 3 way stereo/4 way mono. They NEED mono 2 way, for some reason one of the filters on CH2 goes up to 20K so that channel will be used for Mono 2 way using Low and Mid output only.

Amps: Biamp something 1000: CH1 Highs, CH2 not used. Not sure the wattage but given that it's driving a 4 ohm load it does so well enough. and the -20dB light is on all the time. and the knobs keep falling off.

Peavey CS800: Subs, 8ohm per channel (250w in a downwind). DDT lights on constantly. DDT is the only reason that gig is going on right now...

Speakers: Tops: JBL JRX115. ug. Subs: MR918 (single 18 in a trap enclosure), not bad acutally. With 250w behind each one (well into DDT protection) it actually worked.

So NONE of the 5 people in the band know crap about PA and I helped them a bit by wiring the amp rack for them then dialing a bit once I got there on 2nd set. Top boxes were well able to outrun the subs, like I said the DDT on the cub amp was lit with each kick hit. Despite that it sounded usable.

So thank you Peavey and DDT, with out you guys it would be a world without really crapped top 40 and country (rock, metal, indonesean, chinese, veitnamese, nigerian..). Most bands would have blown their speakers to bits by now.

and thanx to speaker manufactures who insist that each enclosure take so much power that Peavey hasn't made an amp yet to even touch the ratings on them (not true, CS4080, CS4000). Thank you for, um I dunno. But the really big numbers make me sound smart if I can rattle them off.

p

• Members

DDT, and it's indicator light has probably saved more than a few bass speakers for me over the years...

- georgestrings

Ditto.

While playing bass I've also had a speaker that started acting badly (either wires touching within the box or one wire almost falling out - I've never been sure which).

I unfortunately had to deal with it and keep playing bass, the sound was pretty bad and distorted because only a part of the signal was going through the speaker and all the volumes were up full - but a bass sound was present, the DDT light was on virtually constantly and I made it through the gig - additionally the speaker and amp are still fine and playing regularly 3 years later. That's something I wouldn't expect out of any of my other amps.

(the co-musicians at the gig never even noticed that I had a problem - I'm glad I'm not with them anymore).

• Members

There are a lot of very effective limiters on power amps, including Crest and QSC. No mention of Crown however
;)

Owning the Powerlight, Macrotech, and Crest Professional, I'll take Peavey's DDT over theirs everytime. :thu:

• Members

Last night I had some time and took one of my duel 15 subs cabs apart , because the ddt would always kick in at lower levels on that side of the amp than the other .The amp is new and the speakers are new. 1 of the 15s wasn't getting any signal . Turns out that I had a bad speakon cord (wired wrong probably ).If the ddt wasn't there I would have blown that other 15.

I am looking at getting new amps. this thread is making me lean towards peavey

• Members

Since the Macrotech doesn't have limiters, that's kind of a no-starter isn't it?

I have found that all of them perform very adequately for any application I am likely to encounter.

Of course the Macrotech offers limiters. The Macrotech 5000.

We all have our preference and, I just prefer Peavey's DDT over the limiters found in Crest Professional, Crown Macrotech, and QSC Powerlight.

Archived