can you isolate the vocal trax??

• Members

I've seen several devices that will take the vocals OUT of a mix to let the singer "sing" with just the music so they can practice ...never heard it but idea sounds good. We are actually looking for just the opposite...we can't find a singer but would like to practice with just a basic vocal track..play the vocal track and just jam with it...is there such an animal that would be able to do this...isolate the vocal tracks? or any other suggestions besides get a singer :confused: to help achieve the same result??

thanks!!

• Members

yeah...I do my best..but when people come to hear us play they don't want to hear me singing..believe me!! Just wanted something that would sound decent...

You need a lead person. There's pretty-much no getting around that. It's basically what it's all about.

Admittedly, substituting vocal tracks for a front man can be done. Elvis' TCB band does a good job at it:

http://www.weta.org/tv/archive/indexfull.php?episode=0&series=13948

• Members

yeah..I hear yah...was more for my son & I jammin together...hard to find an 11yo frontman to sing though thats decent...actually hard to find musicians that actually want to do something at that age...my son has his moments..but for the most part he wants to learn songs start to finish and polished ...and I hate to put em with older kids right now though it might be an only option....

• Members

Beyond woodshedding with CDs and headphones, the only way I know of to take it to the next level is with other live musicians. I also believe kids progress best if they can experience a mix of playing with seasoned adults combined with significant blocks of quality time exclusively with their peers.

I believe there's three tiers of learning:

The first level has to do with experience... putting in the practice time to get the coordination to physically perform the task. Basically getting so you can play something if you practice it long enough.

The second level has to do with understanding... reading, listening to others... basically getting it in your mind's eye what it's all about... so you're capable of actually thinking ahead of what you're doing... and you're not limited to what you know just based on experience. Basically getting so you can play something you've heard... or having some thoughts of what would work well even if you don't have an example to follow.

The third level is the creative level, where you've mastered the coordination portion and understanding portions well enough that you can stretch beyond the limits of the first two tiers. I believe this stage is best served with some quality time not primarily focusing on the first two stages. Basically getting to the point of being able to pull stuff seemingly out of thin air.

• Members

thanks mark...I also believe that as a kid that has progressed quickly develops each of these stages at the same time...my son case in point..

tier 1: he's still learning the basics..still taking lessons

tier 2 : learning songs..learning to play in a group..understanding his place in the band

tier 3: develops his own fills but can copy others also..plays with feel (doesn't have to count where he is)...adapts...can play along with anything..

as he works on each of these areas he will become a better musician..the more exposure to other musicians I feel the better. The problem is finding the right niche of musicians age and maturity wise while still keeping it fun for him.

• CMS Author

Regarding a tool to extract vocals, all that can really be done is to extract the vocal frequency response range of a track, and unfortunately that area has a LOT of the rest of the song in it as well. Essentially all that's removed is the kick, lower bass, and cymbals. The narrower a band that's removed, the worse the vocals will sound. You'll have lots of guitar, most bas guitar, and most of the drums in there. If you get lucky you may find one or two songs that were mixed in the fashion of the old Beatles tracks....lead vox and drums on left, guitars and backing vox on right, etc,... and have a little better time of it.

• Members

Now for an answer that might work: Load up whatever software you're using to cut the vocals. Adobe Audition, for example. Run the vocal cut and save it to a new file. Invert the phase of this new file. Finally, paste that file over the original (I believe it's called mix paste, or something to that nature). At this point, everything from the second file (the "vocal cut" file) will be perfectly out of phase from everything in the first file (the full song), and when you mix paste, you'll essentially be subtracting everything that's in the second file from the first. The end result should be a vocal track.

It's nowhere near perfect at all, but play with it.

• Members

yeah...I do my best..but when people come to hear us play they don't want to hear me singing..believe me!! Just wanted something that would sound decent...

I think what you are trying to do there is going to be very very very very hard without a click or drum machine. I think i would just gut it out and work on your singing for better or worse. If you have way to record like a digital recorder you can do alot ,, but sinkin up with a vocal track with no click or drum machine ... is going to be very hard. I know i tried to play bass to just my own vocal track and no click or drum and it was a trainwreck ,,, and i play around with this stuff alot. You may just want to work on the instrumentals. rat

Archived