Stereo repair - Baltimore/D.C.

• Members

After many years of trouble-free service, I screwed up my stereo power amp by getting the left channel speaker lead shorted when moving the speakers. I would have taken it to Serv-a-tronics in Glen Burnie, but they've recently gone out of business.

Any recommendations for stereo equipment repair in the Baltimore/D.C. area?

The amp is a Kenwood Basic M2A.

Or is it just time to go ahead and get a new amp? I was thinking about an Adcom GFA-5500 or GFA-5400. Any other suggestions for new amp choices?

Thank you.

• Members

There is a place in Wheaton MD next to Chuck Levin' Music Store that does repairs....can't think of the name.
:confused:

Thanks. I called Chuck's and they gave me the number. That shop referred me to Audioclinic in Silver Spring, which is a Kenwood authorized service center. They have a $65 diagnosis fee, which is applicable to the repair bill, plus $50/hr bench rate. I checked the price of the output transistors, $10/ea, so the overall price of the repair might not be too bad, but I still have to wonder about putting anything into a 22-year-old solid state amp (although a very nice one) when I could put it into something new.

Any other suggestions for repair or replacement?

Archived