Just Ordered Some Carvins... Did I Do The Right Thing?

• Members

Hi all, I'm new here to the forum. I've been looking for some powered speakers for sometime now, but have never been able to pull the triggger on a set of my dream speakers, the Mackie SRM450's. This has been mostly a cost issue. At $699 a piece, the mackies, while great performers, are bit steep for my budget. Which leads me to Carvin. I was trolling their site last night, and came upon the LM12A 12" powered loudspeakers, for $389 + $30 shipping each. Looking at the specs, these seem like very capable designs, with some very nice components. Obviously, there's quite a price difference between the Mackie and Carvin, and I'm sure that will translate into some performance diffference as well, and I'm not overly concerned about that. In my experience, Carvin usually puts out some good to very good gear, not great, but good. So, I ordered them... :eek:

Ultimately, my question is, did I do the right thing? Has anyone hear had experience with this particular line of Carvin loudspeakers? Will I be kicking myself later, for not sacking up and getting the Mackies, although twice the price?

Thanks Guys!

• Members

Only you will be able to say if you are satisfied with your purchase.

It is probably too late to UN order them, so it sounds like you will be geting them, and then you can tell US if you did the right thing or not.

• Members

Hi all, I'm new here to the forum. I've been looking for some powered speakers for sometime now, but have never been able to pull the triggger on a set of my dream speakers, the Mackie SRM450's. This has been mostly a cost issue. At $699 a piece, the mackies, while great performers, are bit steep for my budget. Which leads me to Carvin. I was trolling their site last night, and came upon the LM12A 12" powered loudspeakers, for $389 + $30 shipping each. Looking at the specs, these seem like very capable designs, with some very nice components.

Ultimately, my question is, did I do the right thing? Has anyone hear had experience with this particular line of Carvin loudspeakers? Will I be kicking myself later, for not sacking up and getting the Mackies, although twice the price?

Thanks Guys!

We own JBL Eon G2s and often use the SRM 450s and I'm ready to move on from both, but my dreams run a couple of thousands higher than yours. :eek:

Only you can say if you will be satisfied with the Carvins, but if I remember right don't you have 30 days to return any Carvin product you're not happy with.

Good luck, Winston.

• Members

Is that the new way of doing things? Buy something and then research it?

I did a quite a bit of research. Obviously, unless you live in California, you can't personally test the Carvin speakers before you buy. I was just looking for some feedback, as to your experience with Carvin products, and hoping that maybe someone had some hands on time with this particular model.

Carvin has a ten day return policy, so if I don't like what I hear, I can always return them, and I'm only out the cost of the shipping.

• Members

Just curious, why the 12" instead of the 15".

I am probably going to get 4 of the 15" NON-powered version.

I'll be interested in hearing your comments after you get a chance to check them out.

Al Poulin was going to buy one LM15P but had problems getting it shipped on a credit card faux pax and order processing miscommunication.

• Members

Just curious, why the 12" instead of the 15".

I am probably going to get 4 of the 15" NON-powered version.

I'll be interested in hearing your comments after you get a chance to check them out.

Al Poulin was going to buy one LM15P but had problems getting it shipped on a credit card faux pax and order processing miscommunication.

I was looking for a powered speaker that would make a good floor monitor, and I've always liked 12's for that purpose, a little better than 15's. I thought about picking up the 15's for FOH duties though.

• Members

It should be clear that the processing miscommunication (the fact that they somehow forgot to treat my order) happened before my brother's credit card was rejected. Even when my brother's card did not go through (which would not have happened had the transaction been done 12 days earlier when it was supposed to), I was not contacted or informed in any way. I had to call back 2 1/2 days after the order was finally supposed to have shipped to find that out. They had my phone # as well as my brother's as well as my email. (My brother just got married and just bought a house, he did have a little room on his Visa card when I asked him to call Carvin and pay his part of the speaker-12 days before his card was rejected). Anyway, the LM series do look very good. I just picked up a pair of Yorkville YX15P that come in at the same price but feature a 2 year even if you break it warranty and service anywhere there is a Yorkville dealer. Had I purchased the Carvin, I would have had to ship it back to the states for service. I imagine the LM15 would probably be louder overall, with better bass response but Carvin's service simply made me change my mind. Al

• Members

lifeloverwg,

Which do you like better the JBL Eon G2 or the Mackie SRM450?

Different strokes for different folks. Around here the last time it came up, it seemed more prefer the JBL. Over on the Pro Sound Web forums just the opposite is true.

All things considered I prefer the sound of the 12" in the Mackie for its slightly better vocal reproduction. Originally I bought the JBLs for the better low frequency response of the 15" woofer without subs. Both horns are honky and now bother me. Unfortunatly any major step up in quality requires more $$$ outlay than a mostly local bar band can rationally justify, so I am still looking at options.

Winston

• Members

Different strokes for different folks. Around here the last time it came up, it seemed more prefer the JBL. Over on the Pro Sound Web forums just the opposite is true.

All things considered I prefer the sound of the 12" in the Mackie for its slightly better vocal reproduction. Originally I bought the JBLs for the better low frequency response of the 15" woofer without subs. Both horns are honky and now bother me. Unfortunatly any major step up in quality requires more $$$ outlay than a mostly local bar band can rationally justify, so I am still looking at options.

Winston

That's always been one of my main complaints about powered speakers. Once you have them, you are stuck with them and can't upgrade without spending another ton of money.

I like having a couple nice power amps and the ability to mix and match speakers to the gig without spending thousands of dollars every time I want to upgrade.

• Members

That's always been one of my main complaints about powered speakers. Once you have them, you are stuck with them and can't upgrade without spending another ton of money.

I like having a couple nice power amps and the ability to mix and match speakers to the gig without spending thousands of dollars every time I want to upgrade.

It's no different when trading up with power amps. You ned to consider the resale value of the items you are trading in compared to the cost of the new item. Many of the better (entry level) powered speakers retain as much (or more %-wise of their value when being re-sold. You aren't stuck with anything unless you buy junk, in which case junk seperates are worth about the same as junk powered speakers... just about nothing.

• Members

I have a pair of the 15" powered Carvins - the upper midrage is a bit harsh, but other than that, I'm very pleased with them. The construction is solid, and they put out plenty of sound for my needs without being difficult to move.

• CMS Author

Do you get the multiple sets of speakers for free? Because I'm not seeing the cost savings here. Price out a bi-amped active speaker vs a similar pair of amps (one for LF and one for HF) and an active crossover, and something to house the amps and crossover. I've yet to find a comparable separate setup that is less money than the active speaker. And FWIW, I don't own any active speakers, so I'm not trying to justify my own actions, merely pointing out the money issue is not in favor of separate components.

It would also seem more appropriate to have multiple sets of the same speaker rather than a "mix 'n match" inventory, and merely increase the number of speakers used to accomodate the venue size. Multiple different speakers don't often pair up well so they may not work well if you need the whole inventory for the biggest venues.

• Members

My bass player has a pair of the PM15A's that he uses for a monitor and to run his bass/guitar (PODs) through. He also has the powered 18" sub. At our last gig we ran both his sub and my ES700P, the Yorkie completely outperformed the Carvin to the point that next gig we will only use the ES700P.

That being said when I needed a powered wedge I grabbed a NX25P instead of the LM series.

• Members

I've yet to find a comparable separate setup that is less money than the active speaker.

What about the Peavey SP-2 Speakers paired with the Peavey PV-1600 Bi Pack Amplifier? The SP-2 speakers would run you $1000/pr and the PV-1600 is $520. That would total $1520 and be a much better option than a pair of the Peavey SP-5.5 speakers, which run $1480/pr. Seems more cost effective to me... and only 1 central power cord. :thu:

Just a thought...

• CMS Author

What about the Peavey SP-2 Speakers paired with the Peavey PV-1600 Bi Pack Amplifier? The SP-2 speakers would run you $1000/pr and the PV-1600 is $520. That would total $1520 and be a much better option than a pair of the Peavey SP-5.5 speakers, which run $1480/pr. Seems more cost effective to me... and only 1 central power cord.
:thu:

Just a thought...

That's about as close as you'll get, and even though it's a specialized amp, you're still $40 in the wrong direction. I don't see why it would be a "much better option" than the SP-5.5P. Same power, same drivers. The SP-5.5P would allow the user the option of running stereo, and not having to find rack space for the amp.

• Members

What about the Peavey SP-2 Speakers paired with the Peavey PV-1600 Bi Pack Amplifier? The SP-2 speakers would run you $1000/pr and the PV-1600 is $520. That would total $1520 and be a much better option than a pair of the Peavey SP-5.5 speakers, which run $1480/pr. Seems more cost effective to me... and only 1 central power cord.
:thu:

Just a thought...

I would take a pair of powered SP5.5s over a pair of SP2s and a PV1600 bi pack without hesitation. Powered at 1000 watts peak power per speaker and equipped with Black Widow 4'' VC woofers with a 130DB peak output capability, the SP5.5s look absolutely awesome. Add to that the built-in limiting, equalization and the fact that the amp is designed to get the most out of the speaker components....and you've got one awesome cabinet. The SP2 is excellent too though. I no longer own any passive stuff. Both my systems are powered and I love it. I simply find it less hassle for my needs. And if I want some loud tunes outside on a hot day, grab a powered speaker, plug it in a wall, and connect a portable CD player. Voila! Nothing wrong with seperates, but for me I'm finding powered speakers more and more convenient. Al

Archived