Equalizer Questions

• Members

I just purchased a dual 30 band equalizer and I have a question on installation. Upon reading my mixer's (mackie 1604vlz) user guide, they suggest using the Main Inserts as the signal path.

Is there any benefit in using it this way or is putting it between the main outs and the amp the better solution?

Here's another question, possibly a dumb one, but oh well...

By using the left and right signals of the mixer to feed thier respective sides of the equalizer, wouldn't you have to perform the same equalization on both sides to keep it even? Sounds silly to cut a frequency on the left and not on the right. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

• Members

What if one side of the room is hotter, boomier, etc. One set of speakers may be close to a wall, the other set in the open, stuff like that.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. But back to my point, if you were trying to stomp a feedback freq, you would do it to both sides, right?

...and, do I hook it up using the inserts or inline to the amp?

• Members
Ah, I see. That makes sense. But back to my point, if you were trying to stomp a feedback freq, you would do it to both sides, right?

...and, do I hook it up using the inserts or inline to the amp?

Depends on if the feedback is coming from both sides. As for the other, I've always put it inline. Some prefer using the main insert, especially in bigger setups.

• Members

I use mine in line because of the it's what the manual says on my unit plus I'm sure it has to with the low pass filter probably functions better in line. But then again I did insert 1/3 rd rack parametric when we used to mic out the drums always gave the extra punch for the kick just had to watch the signal because seemed to clip pretty easy even with low gain setting on the unit and mixer but we gotter done.

• Members

In line or inserted is functionally the same thing. Sometimes, in-line allows the simultaneous balancing of otherwise unbalanced outputs.

Sometimes a dual eq will be used for different purposes, 2 monitor mixes, mono main plus front fills, center cluster and subs, etc. Generally you will do the same thing to both channels (exceptions certainly do exist but you would need to know what you were hearing first before deciding this), which is called stereo-linking.

Archived