Ya I'm new to this stuff

• Members

Anyone, drummer here wants to build speaker cabs (Bill's design) and knows a lot about cabinets (kitchen) but nothing about wiring and Hz, low this low that, crossovers, 4oms...etc... Is there a book on speaker for idiots?

All I want is A low sound for my kick when its miced

• Members

Is there a book on speaker for idiots?

Yes. The book is called "Owner's Manual". Most Owners Manuals will supply easy step-by-step instructions which will deliver guaranteed results. They range in price quite a bit, but generally acceptable quality Owner's Manuals can be had for somewhere around $250-$300 ea. I suggest possibly considering the "Owner's Manual for Yamaha SW118V", which should serve your purposes well for just getting a low sound for your kick without having to get into all the science. This fellow has a couple of them for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-YAMAHA-SW118V-Club-Series-V-Subwoofers-Bass-Subs_W0QQitemZ160092614969

Make sure you get the demonstration aids (speakers) that come with the owner's manuals.

It's possible that you might consider seeking Owner's Manuals for powered subs.

• Members
Anyone, drummer here wants to build speaker cabs (Bill's design) and knows a lot about cabinets (kitchen) but nothing about wiring and Hz, low this low that, crossovers, 4oms...etc... Is there a book on speaker for idiots?

That's all stuff you need to know whether you build your own subs/cabs or buy them. Just in setting up and using a system, you need to know all that stuff.

• Members
If you're looking to DIY to save money/time, you won't.

If you're looking to DIY to learn something and maybe have fun, you will.

That's about how it breaks down these days.

Yep, that should be the deciding factor. A lot of knowledge can be gained by going through the necessary steps in building your own cabs. But you should only do it if there is an interest and curiousity in doing so.

• Members

Ya, I want to learn something. But can you tell me I can buy a sub with low enough sound to rock my insides, while I step on my kick or hit an 18" floor tom? If so where/ How much? If not tell what design to build to get me what I want. I all ready bought Bill's Fitz's Cd with all the designs. But after researching and talking to you guys, especially the thread about building your own cabinet (where you put down Bill's design) I just don't know.

I'm going to build me a set of the tuba 24's and see if the 10" driver will give me somewhat of what I want.

Anyone out there that has built them and kinda liked them? If not anyone think building one of the Titan 48's would give me the sound I'm looking for?:D

• Members

Ya, I want to learn something. But can you tell me I can buy a sub with low enough sound to rock my insides, while I step on my kick or hit an 18" floor tom? If so where/ How much? If not tell what design to build to get me what I want. I all ready bought Bill's Fitz's Cd with all the designs. But after researching and talking to you guys, especially the thread about building your own cabinet (where you put down Bill's design) I just don't know.

I'm going to build me a set of the tuba 24's and see if the 10" driver will give me somewhat of what I want.

Anyone out there that has built them and kinda liked them? If not anyone think building one of the Titan 48's would give me the sound I'm looking for?
:D

You'd be far better off building a set of Earthquake copies, IMO. How big of venues do you need to reinforce your low end in?

• Members

My question is are you a good craftsman because if your are then I say hell ya make your own that's the difference between highend compared to mid/entry level cabs. The higher end cabs seem to be more hand crafted then milled you can save money by building your own boxes I doubt you'll save any money buying the components but just imagine making your own cabs loaded with a pair Meyers anyway Prosound is where you need to hang. They have a lab forum over there. Most folks here will tell you to buy the pre made cabs. Way different over on lab forum.

• CMS Author

Anyone out there that has built them and kinda liked them? If not anyone think building one of the Titan 48's would give me the sound I'm looking for?
:D

My results with the T-24 are documented to death in this forum. Whatever.

As the guys stated, you really don't need to build a complicated horn design when it's a lot easier and just as effective to put a decent driver in a vented front-loaded cabinet. Manufacturers have gone with this simple design because for the last couple decades driver design has significantly improved their performance and one can put a good and relatively inexpensive driver in a simple and easy to build cabinet and get great results.

Note that is takes more than a sub-100Hz subwoofer to get kick that you can feel and that sounds good. It's nearly a full-range signal, so you need a pretty complete system to really do it justice.

• Members

My question is are you a good craftsman because if your are then I say hell ya make your own that's the difference between highend compared to mid/entry level cabs. The higher end cabs seem to be more hand crafted then milled you can save money by building your own boxes I doubt you'll save any money buying the components but just imagine making your own cabs loaded with a pair Meyers anyway Prosound is where you need to hang. They have a lab forum over there. Most folks here will tell you to buy the pre made cabs. Way different over on lab forum.

Prosound? link please

Archived