"SKB Mighty '07 GigRig"

• Members

Aye -

I have a Raxxess ConvertaRack 10/6 -

http://www.raxxess.com/product.asp?ID=199

...in which I've had a small PA for a few years (Mackie 1202, Lexicon MP110, Furman power strip, CD player) - but I finally decided that was getting heavy as I added new stuff into it and I'd be better off segmenting into separate racks rather than having it all in one big, heavy, unmanageable one. Plus the spring-loaded handles fly out to positions that make the thing hard to get thru my basement doorway! :cry::lol:

Now I have a Gator Case GR-4L for the cd player, effect unit & pwr strip -

http://www.gatorcase.com/productsdetail.aspx?LID=1&PID=116

(no power amp, since I have a pair of self-powered JBL EONG2's)

...and I plan to add a pop-up mixer case like the SKB19-P12 -

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=157&o=&offset=1&c=120&s=81

...or something like it, preferrably by some other manufacturer - to hold the MixWiz3 or other quality mixer I plan to buy sometime in the near future. :thu:

• Members

If you guys think small is better you might not like the one I've just started filling up:

emptyrack.jpg

New MW3 16:2 on top, I've put in an SKB 4U drawer at the bottom for all the mics and DIs we use, and I'll be adding GEQs, crossovers, etc over the next few weeks. I'll post a pic once it's all done and nicely cabled.

The case is 13U over 10U. Custom made. Cost me $400.

Maybe I should start a "I'm buying lots more gear and it makes me happy" thread :).

• Members

64 lbs EMPTY?

For the same $$$ I can get an Anvil case and it will weigh the same and be better protection.

These aren't very practical though - it doesn't take much rack gear to make a heavy cartage problem. Small 4-6-8sp racks are much easier to deal with (not to mention very hard to find used, for good reason).

• Members

Just curious:

Are the rack rails on that case aluminum or steel?

Steel. My beef with the rails is that they are tapped and not the cage nut type. My last two cases from that guy (12U and 4U shock mount) were cage nut rails. Easy enough to replace, though, and the factory is a five minute drive away.

• Members

Looks relatively well thought out and great for institutional use where can roll around hallways and up elevators. At 64 lbs empty though, not a very good portable solution, IMO.

This Grundorf case is nice and light with the exception of the 1200 lbs worth of useless Peavey M3000. Oh, and no smart@ss comments regarding the BBE Maximizer...It was a gift ;)

IMG_0748_edited.jpg

• Members

Cage nut rack rail should be outlawed. Biggest pain in the ass that I know of. We only allow contractors and suppliers to use tapped steel rail on installs we design and manage. 11 gauge steel tapped rail is so far superior to cage nuts that it's silly to even consider it in these days of CNC manufacture.

Ever build up a few real racks? Using cage nuts would cost almost as much as the bare rack would in additional shop labor. This is something that I know Mark and I are in complete agreement on as well.

• Members

Cage nut rack rail should be outlawed. Biggest pain in the ass that I know of.

:). My day gig broadcast engineering, and I did flyaway OB work for years. The cases I used to buy were made in the UK. Even the ones I got 15 years ago are still going strong. Here is a corner detail:

PR2.jpg

I'd love to be able to afford those for the band, but it would be overkill.

My issue with tapped rails on OB/fly away work is stripped threads. Its easier to replace a cage nut then a rail in the field. But that's just me. I see your point for installs... but please don't have cage nut rails outlawed yet :).

• Members

IF the rack rail is properly manufactured out of reasonable material, stripping should not be an issue.

Ever have a cage nut jam up? now THAT's a real problem because even if you drill the head off, on many styles you CAN'T get the cage nut out of the rail without some really major surgery. Especially if the nut spins in the cage. Now that's a real problem with some of the Chinese cheapie racks.

Also beware of some cheap product using poor thread tolerances, metric threads, 10-24 thread nuts with 10-32 thread screws, really soft screw material etc.

• Members

especially if the nut is jammed and there is an expensive peice of gar that is now trapped in the rack, I had to remove a jammed rack screw right next to an XL-88 with the owner of the company right there..... I go it done without incident, but the thought of that drill wandering to the mixer had me a little worried.

Archived