Best Mic for a Female Rock Vocalist

• CMS Author

Gain before feedback is the sum of the entire system, not just the mic. A mic can have high gain but cause a lot of feedback problems for one user but be fine for another, as it depends on mic technique, proximity to the speakers, total system gain, etc.

For starters, try a Shure Beta-57a. It's a high quality mic that's popular. But most of all, you really should try out every mic you can to find ones that seem to sound best for your voice, and then perhaps borrow or buy one to see if the reality during a gig is the same.

Mic buying can be a big PIA, since you typically can't return vocal mics for a refund.

• Members

Have you heard anything about the Audix OM5??

I am thinking about trying that out

Thanks..

IMO: The OM5 and OM7 are more-so guy mics. I recommend the OM6 for gals, although I have a fair amount of experience with gals on OM5's... and for those female singers that have enough punch the OM5 can work fairly effectively.

I've worked with quite a few gals on OM6's with stage monitor SPL probably exceeding 115dB. For somewhere on the order of 10 years, I've been putting OM6's on female singers as my default choice.

Archived