• Members

I am looking for a PA system for band practice. Just need something for 3 singers to sign through and be loud enough to be heard in the practice room.

Any sugestions?

How is this:

Peter

You might need some other stuff to augment that wireless mic.

I suggest considering:

1) Some sort of mixing board

2) Some speakers

3) Some (or an) amplifier

4) Some cords and associated hook-it-up sutff

• Members

I think he meant

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-620SEM710-PA-System?sku=636502

If its JUST singers practicing, then sure. If it's a full band with amps, drums, etc, NO! I mean sure it's possible, but I doubt your fellow band mates have the discipline needed to stay under the vocals of a rig that small. Really, that's about as Fisher Price as PA's get. $300 barely gets you ONE "just OK" speaker. Expecting an entire system with 2 speakers, mixer, amp? it's obviously going to be of dubious quality.

Double your budget and look used and you'll have a viable solution that may even be gig worthy for small shows.

• CMS Author

I'd recommend a Peavey XR600 (F, G H...the suffix letters indicate the relative age, but they all seem to last forever...) and a pair of wedges like Yamaha Clubs, or a pair of Peavey PR-12's.

Another good option for a practice space is a single powered speaker. Several models have a small 3-channel mixer built-in, so everything you need is in the one box, or you can use a small mixer like a Yamaha MG or a Peavey PV6.

In general, avoid Behringer, Nady, Kustom, which in my experience don't offer value despite low price. And used high-quality gear quite often is the better value than low-cost new gear.

• Members

Any suggestions for something under $500?

I am in a death metal band so we practice at decent levels and we would want to hear the vocals. This might also be used to play drum tracks through.

The single use sounds interesting.

Any suggestions would be great.

Peter

• CMS Author

Any suggestions for something under $500?

I am in a death metal band so we practice at decent levels and we would want to hear the vocals. This might also be used to play drum tracks through.

The single use sounds interesting.

Any suggestions would be great.

Peter

With that budget, a single speaker is about all that would be viable. Check out the Samson db500a, Yorkville NX25P, or the Peavey PR-12P and PR-15P.

• Members

That really depends on your bands volume! Usually floor wedges have about 100-300 watts which is plenty if the bands stage volume is reasonable. If you can control the drummer's volume ,which doing metal is hard for a drummer to play softly because our drummer can't. :mad: I mean you might get by with the system that you posted (highly doubt it) maybe if you put the cabs up in the air and tell everybody to keep it down might work. I know were running 150watts thru our wedges for practice and just run vocals only which is plenty for us. Just remember the band has to be underneath the vocals not on top of the vocals that way you won't strip the ya old vocal chords out. Peace out and good luck with whatever you buy.

Archived