Which of these systems is a better deal?

• Members

I will be using these for vocals only and maybe some acoustic guitar in a rock band in 50-200 setting. Classic rock mostly. Which one would sound better and be a better deal?http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=XP650-PM15&CID=SYS1

or

1 Peavey XR8300 powered mixer

2 Peavey PR NEO 15 ince speakers

I am not at all concerned about the mike stands or,microphones, or speaker cables I am only interested in the sound quality and the issue of dependability.

Thanks in advance, Clucker.

• Members

Only 250 watts @ 2 ohms :eek: What's that at 8 ohms... 100 watts or less?

The Peavey system would win hands down...

You may want to also look into the Peavey PR-15p speakers, which are the bi-amped powered version of the speakers you are looking at, and a passive mixer, something maybe from Peavey's PV line of mixers... this would sound much better! :thu:

• Members

Hmm, yah I had thought of going that route but I am kinda strapped for funds right now and I also am very interested in P.A. Cbas that are light,and the Peavey's are almost weightless compared to what I am used to. I have back trouble you see.

• Members

Only 250 watts @ 2 ohms
:eek:
What's that at 8 ohms... 100 watts or less?

You may want to also look into the Peavey PR-15p speakers, which are the bi-amped powered version of the speakers you are looking at, and a passive mixer, something maybe from Peavey's PV line of mixers... this would sound much better!
:thu:

Besides all of that: Where's Carvin's pro audio dude on this forum? Has Carvin seen fit to hang out in this coffee shop? Huh? Peavey's pro audio dude is right here... lending a helping hand whenever call upon. On-tap manufacture's support from a member of the club tips the balance every time in my book. I hang with the folks that hang with me. That's a game plan that works really well IME.

• Members

Only 250 watts @ 2 ohms
What's that at 8 ohms... 100 watts or less?

You may want to also look into the Peavey PR-15p speakers, which are the bi-amped powered version of the speakers you are looking at, and a passive mixer, something maybe from Peavey's PV line of mixers... this would sound much better!
:thu:

The Peavey's not a whole lot better. Neither system is anywhere near adequate for 200 people, especially if you want to use them to power monitors too. Not even close.

• Members

Peavey's pro audio dude is right here... lending a helping hand whenever call upon. On-tap manufacture's support from a member of the club tips the balance every time in my book.

+2 for this comment, Mark! I would whole-heartedly agree. :thu:

• Members

The Peavey's not a whole lot better. Neither system is anywhere near adequate for 200 people, especially if you want to use them to power monitors too. Not even close.

I never said either system was... but the Peavey system would perform better than that Carvin system... plus he has the support rite on this forum...

• Members

"The Peavey's not a whole lot better. Neither system is anywhere near adequate for 200 people, especially if you want to use them to power monitors too. Not even close"

Actually I already have some killer T.C. Electronics Monitors so this system will only be for the mains.

• Members

Pretty impressive output capability for a 5'' woofer.

Gee Al....and whole 150 watts from the mixer......PEAK rated.:eek:

100 watts 20-20k into....ah...um..????

Gee Al I guess they forgot that part too!:freak::eek::confused:

That Peavey is serious....300 rms into 4 ohms x 2 channels. Gotta like that....at least 200 into 8 ohms per channel. That Peavey is in a whole other league and will drive monitors no problem.

Pssst Dude....Buy this one!!:lol::D:cool:

• Members

Hmm, yah I had thought of going that route but I am kinda strapped for funds right now and I also am very interested in P.A. Cbas that are light,and the Peavey's are almost weightless compared to what I am used to. I have back trouble you see.

I'd go with the powered cabs dude, you can afford them! And they will kill any other options here because the power amps and are perfectly matched and the whole cab is bi-amped so it'll sound way better! You're already looking at spending $900 on 2 PR-15s and a powerblock amp/mixer and a pair of the powered PR-15p's run around $800! Why not get the powered speakers? With a $100-$200 passive mixer, you would blow away either system listed! Plus, you can expand the system later on... you could put the PR-15s on monitor duty if you ever move up to a bigger and better FOH system! And you can pretty much always find use for a mixer or find someone to take off your hands for some quick cash later on... It's hard to put a powerblock to use later on... Even if you don't have the money, I would recommend borrowing it cuz this will make a hige difference in the sound and quality of your rig!

Just my thoughts, but if you are spending enough money up front, I would do it right! :thu:

Archived